Refund for "Sending to a friend or family" transaction?

jrodola
New Community Member

Hi,

I sent money using "Sending to a friend or family" transaction" in order to pay for a resale tickets. Sincerely, I had no idea that this method is not covered by Paypal.

I have just realised it is a scammer. Is it possible to get any refund? What should I do?

Thanks, this sucks 😞

Regards,

Javier

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jrodola

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time. That is also why you would be unable to open a dispute apart from an unauthorised transaction (if your account was hacked and used without your consent).

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately again as it was a 'gift' of money they may decline as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jrodola
New Community Member

Thanks for your answer!

I was charged a fee, I don't know why, the fee was 1,99€

The transaction was done against my bank account, no money has been extracted yet from the bank account, and I could reject the bill, but I am not sure what would be the outcome of that cancellation, I have never reject a bank bill... Maybe Paypal would cancel my account forever? 😞

Thanks

Regards,

Javier

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jrodola

Friends / family payments are free ONLY if funded from a bank account, if you use a card then you pay a fee.

Whereas if you sent a payment for goods / services the seller would pay the fee.

If the funds have not left your bank account yet then i would certainly contact your bank for advice.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jrodola
New Community Member

Thanks, it is weird because I used a bank account and even with that I paid a fee of 1,99€ (just for curiosity)

2018-09-17_21-32-47.jpg

Thanks, I will contact my bank

Regards,

Javier

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.