Refund for a mistake from the buyer

djallel_thedja
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Two days ago i received money (38.44£) on my PayPal account by mistake from an unknown person., But shortly after he started a dispute in which he stated that he paid for an item that he didn't receive. He then sent me an email explaining that he sent me the money (40.00£)  by mistake since he used a wrong PayPal email for the transaction, and i was willing to refund him the money i received (38.44£). Following the dispute resolution procedure, i stated that it was a mistake and i have attached a copy of the email i received.

The problem is, now, PayPal decided the case on his favor and refunded him the original amount which is (40.00£) while i only received that money minus fees (38.44£). So i ended up losing money for a mistake i didn't commit !

I tried to appeal that decision, but the only options i have are either provide a tracking number which i don't have since i didn't sell anything to anyone, or provide a proof that i already refunded the buyer, which in this case, was done automatically by PayPal. There is no other option to add more details or other option to appeal the decision. 

I already sent an email to PayPal explaining the situation, and i am now waiting for their reply.

I want to ask if someone has already experienced a situation like this and tell me how they resolved it.

Thank you for your help.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@djallel_thedja

You should have issued the refund yourself either on receipt of the funds OR when the dispute was opened, then all you would have lost would have been the 20p fixed fee part of the fee.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@djallel_thedja

You should have issued the refund yourself either on receipt of the funds OR when the dispute was opened, then all you would have lost would have been the 20p fixed fee part of the fee.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

djallel_thedja
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

Ok, i'll keep that in mind.

But is there any way around that now ?

Thank you for your help.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.