Refund for Missing Package back to Seller

jpgaby53
Contributor
Contributor

I send a book to a buyer and had used USPS tracking. USPS showed that the book was received in the allotted time. The buyer contacted me five days later stating that he didn't receive the book. eBay was pressuring me to resolve this, so I refunded the $$ to the buyer. How do I get the $$ since I was eligible for seller protection? My assumption is the package was stolen. I don't know how to get PayPal or eBay to respond. Thanks to everyone. Pete

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jpgaby53 

You're eligible for protection only if the buyer filed a PayPal dispute against you for Item Not Received and you provided proof of delivery in the form of tracking info stating "delivered", otherwise you refunded on your own which PayPal is not responsible for. You could have asked buyer to file a PayPal dispute to take advantage of seller protection. I seriously doubt PayPal will cover this under seller protection out of their pocket since you already refunded; the payment is no longer under their influence, unless PayPal decided to refund you as a 'courtesy' based on good/reliable account history.

I don't know what the circumstances were over at eBay but something is not gellin' right for you not to be protected. Don't have the whole story.

Please contact customer service for further assistance:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. 

Or contact via social media:

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jpgaby53 

You're eligible for protection only if the buyer filed a PayPal dispute against you for Item Not Received and you provided proof of delivery in the form of tracking info stating "delivered", otherwise you refunded on your own which PayPal is not responsible for. You could have asked buyer to file a PayPal dispute to take advantage of seller protection. I seriously doubt PayPal will cover this under seller protection out of their pocket since you already refunded; the payment is no longer under their influence, unless PayPal decided to refund you as a 'courtesy' based on good/reliable account history.

I don't know what the circumstances were over at eBay but something is not gellin' right for you not to be protected. Don't have the whole story.

Please contact customer service for further assistance:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. 

Or contact via social media:

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

jpgaby53
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information. I will try to contact PayPal. eBay just kept emailing me to resolve this with the buyer. The buyer seemed to understand, but for some reason didn't think the package was stolen - which it had to be as USPS said it was delivered to the address.

jpgaby53

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.