Refund by mistake

LPosh
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Looking for advice, since cannot find any help from Paypal or Ebay.

I have sold an expensive ~$900 item on Ebay, received payment via Paypal and shipped the item to buyer.

Another buyer asked me to cancel another, but similar auction, and I have made a mistake and cancelled already shipped order.

Called Ebay support and customer rep advised to send buyer a Paypal invoice. Which I did, then written to buyer, explained the issue and asked

to pay back. Buyer came back with a demand of 30% discount (~$300) and free shipping as a condition to return payment.

Called Ebay support again, they advised to call Paypal. Called Paypal support and and got an advice to call police.

That's it ! I don't have the item, I don't have the payment and both Ebay and Paypal basically told me I am on my own. 

I have been an Ebay and Paypal member for more than 20 years.

Thanks

LP       

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LPosh 

That's a different situation. A situation PayPal can deal with because money was not refunded. In your case, PayPal cannot collect the debt for you. The only debt PayPal collects on is what is owed to them. Once you refund, that's it. Mistake or not. Can't go back on it. It's up to the better nature of the buyer to repay. If the best nature of the buyer is $600 + free shipping vs no money, no item, without dragging law enforcement into it. I know what I'd choose or just move on. Focus on your next sale. Successfully sell more than you lose. I don't approve of this buyer trying to take advantage of you but what can you do? PayPal can't force them to pay. PayPal also can't go in and take the money that you refunded back out from their account. Not going to happen. And issued refunds go back to the original funding source; PayPal can't go up in their bank or card account for the money on behalf of a third party. You can take the buyer to small claims court though.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LPosh 

PayPal and eBay really can't help with this. And with what PayPal said, its the only answer they can give. You refunded the wrong order. That's on you; your mistake. Think business, no emotion. Consider: would you rather have 600$, or, no money/no item because really the buyer isn't obligated.

We really have to watch what we do, one wrong click...costs us money.

Login to Me Too

LPosh
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 

I guess I just don't understand.  Say, if I would accept a payment from buyer and don't ship the item, Paypal will force me to return the money. Because it's not my money, I cheat, I try to steal. They will not tell the buyer, well, bad luck, that's on you, your mistake, next time choose who you pay.  No, they will find a way or at least they will attempt to recover money from me. 

So what the difference in my situation?  Buyer gets money which do not belong to him, he just need to return them back, and if he doesn't, he cheats, he steals.  Paypal could easily open a dispute case and ask buyer to resolve issue by returning the payment. Whatever they do with dispute resolutions, they have ways.  And buyer would comply.  The whole issue could be resolved in a heartbeat. But that just doesn't happen, they just don't care.

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LPosh 

That's a different situation. A situation PayPal can deal with because money was not refunded. In your case, PayPal cannot collect the debt for you. The only debt PayPal collects on is what is owed to them. Once you refund, that's it. Mistake or not. Can't go back on it. It's up to the better nature of the buyer to repay. If the best nature of the buyer is $600 + free shipping vs no money, no item, without dragging law enforcement into it. I know what I'd choose or just move on. Focus on your next sale. Successfully sell more than you lose. I don't approve of this buyer trying to take advantage of you but what can you do? PayPal can't force them to pay. PayPal also can't go in and take the money that you refunded back out from their account. Not going to happen. And issued refunds go back to the original funding source; PayPal can't go up in their bank or card account for the money on behalf of a third party. You can take the buyer to small claims court though.

Login to Me Too

NanNanNanNan
Contributor
Contributor
thailand
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.