Refund after 180 days.

jb1996
New Community Member

I ordered an item on the 29th of December without realising it was from Australia. It arrived end of January, I refused to pay £15 charge for the shipping and therefore the item was sent back after 29 days in my local post office (procedure). I was assured by the seller I would receive a refund once they received my item, was also told it would take approximately 3 months for them to get my item back because it was sent by sea mail. I messaged the seller again recently and was told to open a dispute with paypal but the dispute was automatically closed because it's been over 180 days since I paid for the item? Just wondering if there's a way around it. I did try ringing customer service but the automated machine doesn't recognise my problem and I couldn't get through to anyone and can't find an email address to paypals customer service. 

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

Wilderness1
Contributor
Contributor
Hi. This is first posting so might be doing this whole forum thing wrongly - if so - apologies. I see your problem and I think, like me you're stuffed owing to the insufficient 180 days rule which PayPal insists on which with Covid 19 is far too short. 360 days would be fairer. I had a 3 day break through WOWCHER in UK starting June 03 2020 and I booked 6 months earlier on Dec 03 2019 so I was never going to be able to make any claim under these ridiculous PayPal rules. I was prohibited by Government rules to take the trip and Wowcher is now not communicating at all despite my threat of legal action as they know a PayPal reversal is impossible so I am £134 down and PayPal, Wowcher and the venue are all laughing at my expense. Obviously will never again use Wowcher and will reconsider using PayPal. If anyone has any useful ideas apart from suggestions that may be emotionally helpful but may be illegal - I'd like to hear!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Wilderness1 

Credit cards often only give you 120 days so 180 with paypal is more than enough.

If you booked in December then you had up until June to open a dispute and that is when your holiday was booked so how much more time did you need/ 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

g30rg313
New Community Member
I am in a similar situation through Covid-19. I had an event booked for April 20. I paid back in Nov 19. By the time the event was coming up I was first informed by the company that it would be postponed and I could not claim a refund. After another two months I decided to try again for refund from the company, they advised me to try Resolution Centre PayPal. I did, but due to the 180 days rule, my claim was shut down.
Login to Me Too

Shadowed
New Community Member

I also have this issue because of Covid-19. I bought something from Japan in April just before they closed off over-seas shipping. It was maybe the week of. I thought I'd give the seller and shipping company some time, because I knew shipping over seas would be complicated this time around. It's now over 6 months and at this point I can only assume the package has been lost, but I can no longer file a dispute for it despite the item having not arrived. 

While 180 days is very generous normally, I think with Covid it's just not enough. They should really think of extending it while we're in the middle of a Pandemic.

Login to Me Too

Lidiamol
Contributor
Contributor
I had also a problem with a jeweller. Designing, communication, etc took ver long. When I finally went to collect the ring, size was wrong, but then I realised how different it looked from the web, much thinner, poorer, etc., so I complained and have not received an answer yet. All in all, the 180 went away and now I have no ring and 400€ less. Is there anything that can be done? Regards.
Login to Me Too

Warlunhardt
Contributor
Contributor
Actually you can open a dispute after 180 days. Although the option will not be available in the Main Menuder Activity like always. What you have to do is go to the Resolution Center and select refund and the transaction your looking for and it will let you open a case to dispute a refund.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Warlunhardt 

Yep but you have 0 buyer protection if the seller refuses a refund after 180 days.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

temp20211110s
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar problem; mine involves concert tickets.  Tickets were purchased June 2020 for concert scheduled April 2021 (10 months in advance).   I used PayPal precisely for extra protection dealing with a service vendor on the Internet.  Thanks to Covid, concert was rescheduled twice and changed venues, finally occurring on 9/24/2021.   At the venue door, my son and I were refused entry with our valid tickets and directed to the Box Office.  They took the ticket information and promised a refund from the ticket vendor within 10 business days.  After three weeks, I tried contacting the vendor (a major ticket vendor in the US still doing business); they do not respond to email and their Customer Service chat says you are 99th in line which never changes so is apparently unstaffed.  I am disputing within 180 days of _date_of_service_ which (for services) is the only relevant date; until then, there is probably no dispute.  Tickets (for travel or entertainment) are often purchased well in advance of the scheduled date of service.   It seems PayPal needs to adjust their policy to allow for this.  I succeeded in opening a dispute, but it was automatically closed a few minutes later.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@temp20211110s 

Even credit cards only give you about the same time period as paypal (some even less), you have to risk assess pre-sales etc yourself.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

dianerevard
I want to close my account
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.