Refund Scam using PP

Notsofast

I had a dispute about a $215 item bought on Aliexpress. Initially paid by Cc.

Seller offers $20 which was not acceptable, Case escalated with Aliexpress who decides (3 days later) in my favor and suggests 30% refund as compromise.

Almost immediately - minutes after the AE decision, seller offers to pay $100 by Paypal and have me close the dispute. Not my first rodeo - but I think let's see where this goes - I reply "That's acceptable - please send Paypal pmt to xxxxx" Minutes later I get the message that the payment has gone through.

To good to be true right?

I call PP to check. I have to press the issue and ask if this payment can be disputed? Answer yes it can be disputed - for up to 180 days because the refund was made as a payment for "Goods or Services" which I did see as there was the option to buy postage and upload tracking information. PP rep was not really helpful in advising, she should have outright warned me against accepting the payment and considering it "safe" I really had to ask follow-up questions to get to the point that I was possibly being scammed.

So it was not a refund - it was a payment for goods or service which I must now provide, and if I can't prove that I did provide - the payment goes back to "the buyer"

OUCH!!!

How to avoid: ask the seller to submit paypal payment as "personal payment" which can NOT be disputed according to PP rep - (correct me if I'm wrong)

I refunded the payment and asked the seller to re-submit as "personal payment" - let's see what happens I expect not to hear from him again.

I did not close the AE dispute. That is the most important advise : NEVER close the dispute. and DON"T accept PP payment as refund in a dispute case UNLESS it is a PERSONAL PAYMENT.

I hope this helps someone out there - 

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.