Refund Confusion

clharlie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

So I disputed a transaction and was due a refund. The refund showed up in my transactions and was marked as "Pending" so I was waiting until the expected arrival date. However one morning I got an email stating the refund couldn't be processed and was therefore "Cancelled" as the seller could not provide (purchased a faulty item). A couple hours later, I got another email saying that I accepted the refund offer and I should expect a refund to my debit card (payment method) and it should take within 7 business days to arrive. This confused me as the refund was still marked as cancelled on my activity and I could see nothing about receiving a refund on my PayPal account. I'm unsure what to do, as neither me or the seller did anything to the claim, it was automatically closed by PayPal and now I don't think I will be able to dispute the transaction again.

I'd really appreciate some guidance as I'm confused about this whole situation, I have emailed and tried calling PayPal countless times however each email I send gets replied with a copy-paste response and the UK phone line support appears to be "closed due to covid-19".

Thank you. 🙂 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

cpat0204
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

@clharlie 

I agree with you that this is confusing. If the refund is cancelled on your activity, it is possible that there's something went wrong when Paypal tried to refund you using your original payment method that you used on the transaction. I suggest that do not cancel your dispute yet if you have filed a dispute, You may send us a message so we can take a closer look on why the refund is showing cancelled on your activity page. 

You did not indicated a country /region. In order for you to contact us, go to any paypal pages, click help/contact at the bottom >click contact on the bottom right>click on message us to check if one of our chat representative can assist you.

Hope this helps! Stay Safe!

Login to Me Too

clharlie
Contributor
Contributor
My account was permanently limited for no reason 4 days after I sent the £1000GBP so I was told by a customer service agent that because of this my money was going to be held for 180 days.... - which is illegal as I am protected by EU law to receive a refund.. you cannot hold this money from me as it was sent before my account was limited from my debit card (it didn’t even come from PayPal)
Login to Me Too

clharlie
Contributor
Contributor
Are you able to help me with this directly? This £1000GBP is a lot to me especially in these current times, PayPal refusing for refund is obscene, the case was also automatically closed by PayPal as well (so I had no choice to keep it open and am now unable to re-open)
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.