Recourse for iPhone App Store Complaint Against Me?

thirdrevelation
Contributor
Contributor

I downloaded an app called Fabulous and signed up for a free trial. I tried to cancel on the last day, but the button to cancel on my phone was ghosted out. A few hours later, the button was available again, but I received an email from PayPal confirming a $60 charge for a yearly subscription. I contacted Apple Support, who informed me that they wouldn't refund the charge, and refused to explain why. 

I filed a dispute with PayPal, and after about two weeks of no seller response, I tried to update an app on my iPhone and was informed that my account was suspended and I had to contact Apple Support. I contacted them, and they restored my account warning me that if I filed another dispute "outside of Apple," that I risked having my Apple ID suspended permanently. It was like pulling teeth, but I eventually managed to get them to concede that Fabulous was notified of my PayPal dispute and they complained to Apple about it, which then suspended my Apple ID without warning or notification as my punishment.

Do I have any recourse to file a complaint against the Fabulous app for this saga? PayPal found in my favor this morning and refunded my charge, but these kinds of business practices is infuriating to me and I want to prevent this from happening to any other PayPal account holders. Thanks.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@thirdrevelation 

The first point of contact would have been the app developer's support about what happened or is all billing issues handled by Apple for the app developers? You did get your money back so not sure where else you can file an additional complaint against the app because a PayPal dispute is the complaint but in the future, just don't try to cancel on the last day. Do it a few days before so the app don't ghost or block the cancel trial button on you when the software finna bill you. Everything is automated these days. Maybe contact Apple support and they contact the app or is there contact info through the app, hit them up to complain.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

thirdrevelation
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, sorry I should have mentioned that. I emailed the Fabulous app support about the issue, and they seem to get a lot of those kinds of emails because a bot directed me to the terms of service explaining the continuity billing model and how I'm not entitled to a refund based on the airtight terms of service. That's when I contacted Apple and they informed me that I won't be getting a refund, and the reason shall remain a secret.

I don't really want to contact Apple again, because if I admit that I got my money back they may suspend my account out of spite. It seems they heavily favor the developer companies over the consumer, so I'm pretty much out of luck. I may file a BBB complaint but I guess that'll be the end of it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.