Received an email that I added my phone number - but I didn't.

remsington
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. I received an email that I added my phone number to my paypal account. I haven't used paypal in forever and did not add my phone number.

When i checked - it's the right number. i don't know how this happened.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

LiamCaleb1528
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @remsington 

I hope all is well. First, I must say, thank you for taking time to use the community forum to be heard as our phone lines are currently closed due to the pandemic coronavirus (covid-19) emergency. I don't blame you if you are quite worried about, there's also a possibility a family member or relative knows your access and managed to update it for you, either way, even if it is the correct information being added and to prevent this from happening again, I advice that you change your security questions and password just to be sure. For further assistance you may also wanna try to reach out to our available chat support since our phone lines are not accessible at the moment due to the worldwide pandemic crisis. Just login on your PayPal account, go to Message Center, then choose the option for Chat. Our friendly customer support teammates are willing to assist you.

Hope this will help you, stay safe now and God Bless!

Login to Me Too

Raprap_
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @remsington. I hope you're doing well. I understand that this is very alarming. I have seen this with a customer before and she was certain that she did not add her phone number on the account. Please check if any of your family member made a transaction on your behalf. If not I would suggest if your not using this account anymore to close it. For now please keep a close eye on your email and phone number for any activity or notification. You can also log in only to check for any changes or transactions. I hope it helps. God bless.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@remsington 

If its a spoof, NEVER USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

remsington
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate your reply, but unfortunately in this case it wasn't a fraudulent email. It was from Paypal, with my name included, and i compared the email to previous official Paypal emails and it looked exactly the same, and from the same address (service@p...).

I think I'm just going to close the account because I definitely didn't add my number, nor did anyone else I know as nobody has access to my paypal.

Cheers

Login to Me Too

LaurenJoy
Contributor
Contributor
Hi. The same thing happened to me. Did you figure it out ?
Login to Me Too

Maybus
New Community Member

same thing

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.