Received an email saying a payment to me may have been unauthorised - help!

Sparklies
Contributor
Contributor

So on Saturday I got an email from Paypal with the subject: Your PayPal payment is on hold. I immediately thought scam, but it came through to the right email and it turns out it's legit.

The content of the email is thus:

Dear Sparklies,

It has come to our attention that the payment shown below may have been unauthorised.

While we investigate this transaction, we’ve placed a temporary hold on the amount you received. The money won’t be available for you to use until we complete our review. We appreciate your patience and we apologise for any inconvenience.

No restrictions were applied to your account so you’re free to continue using PayPal.

Along with this were my customers details and the Transaction ID. Looking this up on my account I find three records as follows:

26/3/18 Payment from <customer name> - Completed 41.95 GBP

7/4/18 Temporary Hold <customer name> - Removed 41.95 GBP

7/4/18 Update from Reversal - Cancelled 40.11 GBP

I haven't had any other emails and now I can't figure out if they've investigated and found it to be legitimate and just removed the hold on the money in my account or if they've found it to be fraudulent and removed the money from my account completely. I need to know which as I work to order with a 4-6 week lead time, so the customer's order hasn't been sent out yet, and if it's been effectively cancelled I need to get in touch with them to see what's going on.

I do hope someone can tell me what this all means. TYIA.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.