Reasonable time to wait for seller to issue refund?

goremotel
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, everyone! I'm looking for advice with a problem I'm having with getting a refund.

Last week, Monday 13th January, I bought a physical item from an online store located in the EU. Before buying it I sent an email asking if the item was in stock, and was told that it was ready to be shipped. I clicked the 'Buy Now' button on the item's page and I paid through PayPal using my debit card. A few minutes later I was mailed a receipt, followed by another email which said the my order would be shipped within the next 48 hours. One hour later I also got an email from UPS with a tracking number.

I waited for 4 days, periodically checking the status of the shipment, till Friday 17th. Since the status of the shipment was still "Ready for UPS", I contacted UPS customer support. I was told that the package was never handed to them and that I should contact the seller. I asked the seller what was going on and was told that the warehouse would be notified and would send the package shortly.

Yesterday, Monday 20th, the seller informed me via email that the item was actually not in stock and that it could be shipped next week. On the product's page, however, the 'Buy Now' said 'Preorder' instead, and a new paragraph stated that the item was expected to be back in stock in March.

At that point I lost all trust in the seller and replied that I wanted a refund.

As of right now more than 24 hours have passed since I requested a refund, but it hasn't appeared in my Activity tab. From PayPal's Help section I understood that the refund would appear and remain in 'Pending' status for a couple of days - depending on the bank - after which I'd get my money back; did I understand correctly? Or would the refund appear in my Activity tab once my money was actually back in my account?

How much longer should I wait for the seller to issue the refund? Would another day be reasonable (so two working days in total)?

Should I contact the seller again and ask to be refunded via email, or report an issue through PayPal?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@goremotel 

When a refund is issued, a refund transaction listing with status and details appears in your PayPal account activity and a reference to the refund also appears in the original transaction.

If you do not see a refund transaction listing in your PayPal account activity at all, then you have not been refunded yet.

Note: Issued refunds are returned to original funding source. Arrival times may vary:  

- Bank payments, 3-5 or 5-7 days, depending on your bank. 

- Cards, about a week, up to 30 days depending on your issuing card. 

- PayPal balance, fairly instant. 

- Split payments between PayPal balance and card/bank, see above.

You can go ahead and report it by locating the payment transaction in your PayPal account activity, click it, then click "Report a problem" and choose the most appropriate options:

(Note: the option you choose makes or breaks your claim so choose correctly!)

I didn't receive an item i purchased  

The product or service [as in entire order] was not delivered to you. 

I received an item that's significantly not as described  

The product or service was significantly not as described in your order. 

I want to report unauthorized activity  

Report suspicious activity, transactions and account changes you didn't authorize*. 

I have a billing issue  

Report issues with transaction amount, duplicate charges, refunds or canceled subscriptions.

*Meaning someone broke into your account and did something without your permission/knowledge, otherwise PayPal may deny your claim. This does not include paying someone you didn’t know was a scammer or by mistake. Choose from the first two options for such situations.

Please read BUYER PROTECTION PROGRAM TERMS:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security

If it has been 7 days since date of payment, you are free to make a report of Item Not Received at any time after, up to 180 days from date of payment. Given that tracking info was provided though, PayPal may adjust the resolution date to allow ample time for dispatch/delivery.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@goremotel 

When a refund is issued, a refund transaction listing with status and details appears in your PayPal account activity and a reference to the refund also appears in the original transaction.

If you do not see a refund transaction listing in your PayPal account activity at all, then you have not been refunded yet.

Note: Issued refunds are returned to original funding source. Arrival times may vary:  

- Bank payments, 3-5 or 5-7 days, depending on your bank. 

- Cards, about a week, up to 30 days depending on your issuing card. 

- PayPal balance, fairly instant. 

- Split payments between PayPal balance and card/bank, see above.

You can go ahead and report it by locating the payment transaction in your PayPal account activity, click it, then click "Report a problem" and choose the most appropriate options:

(Note: the option you choose makes or breaks your claim so choose correctly!)

I didn't receive an item i purchased  

The product or service [as in entire order] was not delivered to you. 

I received an item that's significantly not as described  

The product or service was significantly not as described in your order. 

I want to report unauthorized activity  

Report suspicious activity, transactions and account changes you didn't authorize*. 

I have a billing issue  

Report issues with transaction amount, duplicate charges, refunds or canceled subscriptions.

*Meaning someone broke into your account and did something without your permission/knowledge, otherwise PayPal may deny your claim. This does not include paying someone you didn’t know was a scammer or by mistake. Choose from the first two options for such situations.

Please read BUYER PROTECTION PROGRAM TERMS:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security

If it has been 7 days since date of payment, you are free to make a report of Item Not Received at any time after, up to 180 days from date of payment. Given that tracking info was provided though, PayPal may adjust the resolution date to allow ample time for dispatch/delivery.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

goremotel
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info!

I forgot to mention one thing: the store's website mentions that their delivery time to my country is 6 - 8 working days. Tomorrow 8 working days will have passed since I paid for the item - not that relevant since the seller himself admitted that the item was not actually in stock - so I'll send another email tomorrow and if I don't get an answer, I'll file a report on Monday. That should be more than enough time for the seller to issue the refund.

It's disappointing, though, since the store has many positive reviews on the web and I didn't expect the seller to be so unprofessional.

Cheers!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.