Reached limit, account restricted, no customer support?

malkhorafi
Contributor
Contributor
I was in the USA a couple of weeks ago and sold a couple of items I have on Ebay. I received an email from PayPal that I reached my account threshold and that I should provide some additional documents. ID and proof of address, which I shared. The mistake I did was share my US address along with a statement from my US bank. I live in Kuwait and also have an address here. I received an email saying that there is a mismatch on my address and that I need to create a new account with my address. I replied and forwarded the email to the compliance team explaining that I have a Kuwaiti address and that is where I actually live. I even shared a bank statement. I am not a US citizen, in the US on a tourist visa. I've since sent 3-4 emails without ANY reply. I even shared a link of my employer's website which has me on it and still no reply. I finally called today and was answered by the support team in Dubai who told me my account has been indefinitely restricted and all funds will be on hold for 180 days and I can go ahead and create a new account with a new email address. The amount in my account is insignificant otherwise I would of taken this more seriously. But really, what kind of joke is this? 180 days and go open a new account? Where's the control in that? What are you "complying" with? If you suspect something you don't close the account and ask him to create a new one, that would be tipping him off. You report any suspicious activity not get rid of it. I have been using paypal for 10 years now and I already changed my account last year because of region reasons, I wanted to link my US account to be able to withdraw and ended up having to delete my account and open a new one. I am using the same email address but my profile shows as 1 year old. I am really disappointed and if there were alternatives to paypal, I would not look back. I need it for ebay and have several recurring payments linked to it. I really hope someone fixes this for me and I am willing (already did) to share any information required. OR AT LEAST REPLY TO MY EMAILS.
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Drew

Hi @malkhorafi

Sorry if this situation has caused an inconvenience. 

With PayPal, we do have country-specific accounts as every country has its own regulations. If you live in Kuwait, you would need to create an account in Kuwait. When we permanently limit an account, the reason we hold onto money for 180 days is because that is how long people who sent you money can dispute the payment. When this timeframe is up, we will send you an email confirming you can withdraw the money with an eligible US bank or card. 

Please only use an account from Kuwait at this time. 

Thanks, 

Drew

Login to Me Too

malkhorafi
Contributor
Contributor
I am in Kuwait. My account address is Kuwait. I cannot be more clear.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @malkhorafi,

I'm sorry for the confusion. I see from your community profile that your account is created in Kuwait. I'm also sorry that your emails have not been answered yet. Responses via writing are not immediate. For an immediate response, please contact customer service by phone. Click Contact at the bottom of the PayPal website, then click Call us, then log in or call as a guest. A representative would be able to look more deeply into the situation and assist.

I hope this can be resolved quickly for you.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

malkhorafi
Contributor
Contributor
I did call. Ended up speaking to someone in Dubai who was not able to help. The email I got from Compliance was also useless and when I email back I am given the run around. All this is in the initial post I am repeating myself again and again.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @malkhorafi,

The representatives in customer service would be in the position to review the whole picture, whereas the community forum only affords a part of it. I'm sorry that the answer has not been satisfactory. I'm very sorry to hear that your appeal has been denied.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.