Re: collection letter American Coradius International LLC

MiaFran
New Community Member

Thank you for this! I also got a letter from American Coradius this week and it appears to be a scam. Call them at the number on the top of the notice and tell them this is fraudulent and you aren't paying it. I may send them a registered letter also, I'm getting advice from LifeLock. You may also want to go on the Better Business Bureau website and post- American Coradius seems to respond there and confirm they are not taking further action and have closed the account. I would also check your credit if possible- the 3 bureaus allow for one free credit report a year.  Here is the whole story.

I was the victim of identity theft in March 2020. Someone opened a PayPal credit account (with Synchrony Bank) in my name. I resolved that and received confirmation that it was closed and I would not be responsible for any charges. (I also locked my credit, I have LifeLock, etc.) I received a letter from American Coradius International this week which is a debt collection agency. It was a bill for $200 from PayPal Inc for an unpaid balance. I don't have an unpaid balance in my account, and the fraudulent account was closed in March. I also never received any other notice from PayPal which is suspicious (if I owed PayPal an unpaid balance since March 2020- why haven't THEY contacted me directly? How could this go straight to collections?). My own PayPal account is safe- no fraudulent charges there. I called American Coradius and said these aren't my charges and I was the victim of ID theft. They said oh ok, yes we've seen this before and we'll cancel this right away. Super suspicious- debt collection agencies don't just cancel a debt like that in 20 seconds! They said they required no more info from me, also suspicious. I googled it and saw many instances of the same situation on the Better Business Bureau website. They also said this would not affect my credit which is also suspicious- being sent to collections affects credit! At this point there is nothing on my credit from this, but it's also only been a few weeks since this action was initiated. This entire thing seems so suspicious. PayPal will not allow me to speak to them- they hang up as I go through their menu, and will not allow me to email them so I cannot contact PayPal directly which is so frustrating. Anyone else with any info, please help! 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

hollyatc
New Community Member

Just got a notice from ACI, LLC yesterday and will call to tell them that it's fraudulent. Nothing says I owe anything in Pay Pal. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.