Purchased using goods and services using PayPal balance and CC, how to dispute?

SFGINSIDER
New Community Member

Hello, I purchased a watch thru Reddit from someone with decent feedback. They wanted 1300 and I had 1200~ in my PayPal so I used $1200 of the balance and used the credit card for the remaining $100 for a little over $1300 total. I looked at pictures closely before purchasing and it all looked good. However upon receipt the band was ripped completed and unusable, meaning I need to buy a new band which is more than 300$ for the name brand one that it was suppose to come with. I’ve emailed and called and texted the seller and he’s ignoring me. I’m going to give it more time as I’m open to him just buying a new band or replacing the band (since the pics don’t show the band as ripped and it’s therefore not as advertised esp on a watch with an msrp of 4200$). Regardless my questions are 1) will a chargeback only refund me the $100 I put on my credit card or will it give me the PayPal balance of $1200 and the $100 via cc so I get it all back? 2) should I do a cc chargeback since I haven’t heard from the seller or should I go thru PayPal’s dispute process first? 3) do I have a legitimate claim? It may seem minor to some but as a watch collector I paid for one thing, expecting that, and was really disappointed when something else, ripped, came meaning I need to put more in, and if I knew this I wouldn’t have paid what I did. Any advice and help would be appreciated. I either want money to replace the band or a full refund and I’ll return the watch. Just don’t know what to do since I haven’t heard from the seller. It’s been 5 days since I first contacted him after it arrived

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SFGINSIDER 

I'm leaning towards you only getting $100 from a credit card chargeback as that was how much was charged on your card. 

I strongly urge opening a PayPal Significantly Not As Described dispute to get the entire amount back for return of item. Locate payment transaction in your PayPal account activity, click it, then click "Report a problem" to file an Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) dispute. You can request for payment of a new band during the dispute phase (the first 20 days of opening the dispute) but only close the dispute once you've received payment to your satisfaction, ok? Don't buy into the "close the dispute and I"ll...blah blah blah, from the seller". If the seller refuses, escalate to PayPal claim within the first 20 days for PayPal to step in to make a ruling and accept the decision PayPal will probably make which is return for a refund. Return with tracking number so return delivery can be proven.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.