Purchased from a fake website using paypal

Stephen_W
Contributor
Contributor

I went to purchase some earrings for my girlfriends birthday today from a store in Toronto. This is their website: https://mejuri.com/  However, instead I went to a website that is fake and a known fraud by police and the real company. I was unaware it was a scam until I placed the order. The fake site is here: https://www.mejurishop.com/  As you can see the site is done up to look real but when I payed the email address of the company was fake: <Removed> and the invoice said it was for electronics in my shopping cart, not earrings. 

The payment went through right away and is not even pending. I tried filing a suspicious activity report in haste because I wanted to try anything to stop from losing my 122 dollars. But sadly this only made things worse. Now my account actions are limited and It won't let me change my password to restore account. Having tried using 3 different web browsers on different devices. 

I need the following answers:

When can I file a dispute against this fraud? I clearly won't be receiving any products but when is the time frame I must wait for?

and also when will I be able to restore my paypal account to full function? I submitted my passport photo but the submit button like I said for my password change will not work.

I am getting sick and tired of the poor and frustrating paypal customer service. Someone please help me

Login to Me Too
34 REPLIES 34

mariespi
Contributor
Contributor

Great news - I submitted a dispute when this happened to me and I just got an email saying the dispute was resolved in my favor and they're going to refund my money. There is hope.

Login to Me Too

Stephen_W
Contributor
Contributor
I’m happy for you. How long did you have to wait before filing the dispute?
Login to Me Too

mariespi
Contributor
Contributor

I filed the dispute right when I realized it was a scam (May 2nd at night) and it was just resolved. Good luck!!! Let me know if I can help in any way.

Login to Me Too

Stephen_W
Contributor
Contributor

paypal dismissed my claim right away, so I am quite upset. But I just filed a claim with the CAFC Fraud Reporting System (Canadian anti fraud center) and will contact local law enforcement as well. 

Login to Me Too

SudsPB
Contributor
Contributor

@mariespi What did category did you select when filing a dispute? The dispute I filed said I needed to wait until the 10th before I can escalate it to Paypal...

Login to Me Too

mariespi
Contributor
Contributor

I put "item not as described" as my reason and this as my description: "I thought I was shopping on a jewelry store website (Mejuri) but I bought something off of MejuriShop, which is a scam website. They are stealing pictures of jewelry from Mejuri and "selling" fake products. The website directs you to paypal, which I thought was strange but didn't think too much of it. I goolged MejuriShop and it's a scam." Hope that helps!!

Login to Me Too

Stephen_W
Contributor
Contributor

Did you guys also get this fake email address for the store with your paypal receipt? <removed>

Login to Me Too

SudsPB
Contributor
Contributor

Mine didn't list an email just had the seller's name as "Yin <removed>"

Login to Me Too

Stephen_W
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to contact paypal through facebook and they contacted the frauds email and say that they have until May 25th to supply them with details about the transaction. I am confident they will not since its a fake email, so I am thinking I should get a refund in the end of all this. I will update this thread when any new info becomes available. Don't give up my friends.

Login to Me Too

alexmerrick
Contributor
Contributor

I  have been following this thread after falling victim to the same fake Mejuri site scam. I opened up a dispute under unauthorized payment and paypal reviewed it and sided with the "merchant". They closed the case and now I can't open another dispute under that transaction! I have sent multiple emails explaining what has happened and how I need to reopen the dispute, but have just had bots responding (if they are actual humans responding to emails the definitely aren't reading my notes.). Feeling a bit helpless in terms of courses of action I can take. Is it worth contacting Paypal via facebook? So frustrating that this happened and is now taking up so much of my time! ugh! 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.