Purchased from a fake website using paypal

Stephen_W
Contributor
Contributor

I went to purchase some earrings for my girlfriends birthday today from a store in Toronto. This is their website: https://mejuri.com/  However, instead I went to a website that is fake and a known fraud by police and the real company. I was unaware it was a scam until I placed the order. The fake site is here: https://www.mejurishop.com/  As you can see the site is done up to look real but when I payed the email address of the company was fake: <Removed> and the invoice said it was for electronics in my shopping cart, not earrings. 

The payment went through right away and is not even pending. I tried filing a suspicious activity report in haste because I wanted to try anything to stop from losing my 122 dollars. But sadly this only made things worse. Now my account actions are limited and It won't let me change my password to restore account. Having tried using 3 different web browsers on different devices. 

I need the following answers:

When can I file a dispute against this fraud? I clearly won't be receiving any products but when is the time frame I must wait for?

and also when will I be able to restore my paypal account to full function? I submitted my passport photo but the submit button like I said for my password change will not work.

I am getting sick and tired of the poor and frustrating paypal customer service. Someone please help me

Login to Me Too
34 REPLIES 34

1nuclearsubmari
Contributor
Contributor
Call your bank or credit card. They'll settle it and you'll get your cash back.
Login to Me Too

Stephen_W
Contributor
Contributor

Sadly the bank cannot do anything, its paypal that needs to refund the money back. 

Login to Me Too

1nuclearsubmari
Contributor
Contributor
If you tell your bank you got charged for something and didnt receive it, especially something from overseas, they certainly will refund your money in it came out of your bank acct. I've done it! PAYPAL ISNT GOING TO DO SQUAT. GOOD LUCK THINKING THEY WILL. Notify the FTC and file a complaint online.
Login to Me Too

mariespi
Contributor
Contributor

I just did the same thing and I am so mad. Paypal needs to stop allowing payment to that vendor and that website should be taken down! Please let me know if you figure out how to resolve it.

Login to Me Too

Stephen_W
Contributor
Contributor

I will for sure let you know what comes of this. I will not give up until I am refunded my money. I will use twitter, facebook and everything other social media I can. Please don't give up either.

Login to Me Too

sm119

it just happened to me 

because of COVID19 none of the bank nor paypal is responding to me and i'm so frustrated.........

Login to Me Too

Stephen_W
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to hear it. We need to continue to press paypal and never stop. I have been messaging them on twitter and will on facebook as well, and will never stop until they fix this problem of facilitating fraud. 

Login to Me Too

Paralogize
Contributor
Contributor
The same thing happened to me a couple of days ago. My payment is still pending and I never even received an email about the transaction. It’s as if it didn’t exist. I’m more upset about this person having my personal information. It’s awful 😞
Login to Me Too

Stephen_W
Contributor
Contributor

I am sorry so many people have had this same problem with this fake website. But together with this growing list of us perhaps we can force paypal to do the right thing and stop facilitating fraud. Never give up. In the end I will sue paypal if it comes to it, so stay tuned. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.