Purchase from a hacked website. Paypal closed the dispute within minutes.

NovaDentist
Contributor
Contributor

Yesterday I made a purchase from a legitimate website and checked out using Paypal. Upon payment I was redirected to the website just to find out the cart still holds my item and the item is not purchased.

I immediately followed up with the website management and also filed a dispute as "unauthorized activity" with Paypal. Within minutes.

All was done using my mobile phone, so I chose the option for dispute that appeared to be the best described one.

Several hours later I checked the status of the dispute and found out that Paypal closed my case. 

The message said:

Case Closed: Transaction not covered

Case ID: PP-I-XXXXXXXX
Thank you for reporting this case.  After reviewing your case, we found that this transaction was not unauthorized and hence couldn't be covered under PayPal Purchase Protection.  We've noted the account changes you reported with this case.
Case details

Dispute reason

Unauthorized access

Case Status

Closed

Date reported

Dec 13, 2020

Transactions not refunded
We have been unable to provide any refund on the transactions listed.
Dec13
{Sellers-name-in-chinease}Payment
- $99.99

I cannot seem to find any way to contact anyone at paypal to help me to resolve the issue, no phone numbers, no email portal.
How do I dispute the transaction as obviously it was a fraudulent one?
Thank you
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@NovaDentist 

A dispute for an unauthorised transaction is telling paypal that your account was hacked and used without your consent to make that transaction.
Paypal would check IP addresses and devices and close the dispute if it was you that made the transaction.

You are only allowed 1 dispute per transaction so the only way you can get a second dispute opened is to contact Paypal (when and if you can) and see if they will open a second dispute for you.
They may decline citing policies but if you say you made a mistake then they might open a second dispute for you.

If not then if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then consider contacting your card issuer and see if they will help you with a chargeback?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

NovaDentist
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you @kernowlass. That is exactly what happened. I'm unable to file another dispute. Is there any way to contact a live person in PayPal? I was stupid enough to use my paypal balance to fund most of the transaction. So in this case they are "my credit card bank" so to speak. So far I managed to send them a request in automated chat, and got a responce saying that I will be contacted by their people. I received the contact a day later asking if I would like to open "did not receive item" dispute. I replied yes please, and that was it, no answers, no follow up, no dispute change, the money seems to be gone for good and no one is interested there. Seems very strange to me that PayPal has no support line, considering the subject of the fraud.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.