Puppy Deposit Refund

CuriousK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi! I would like to know if Paypal would side with me, the buyer, should I dispute this transaction. I contacted this lady about buying a puppy. The deposit was stated as $250.00 for the puppy born on 10/11/18 - 15 days old. It was never stated as a non-refundable deposit on her business page nor in our discussion. After researching her Facebook page for the sale of the puppy, the seller sent me her paypal email. I paid the $250.00 with "Goods and Services." After the transaction was posted I noticed it was posted to her email but as another business name than the one she was selling the puupy with. I started researching that business and did not find positive reviews. It seems she has two businesses and the one for the sale of the puppy is not the one I paid to. She told me that she received my payment but said "I should have told you to pay through Friends and Family because paypal charges me fees since you paid through Goods and services." I found that a bit sketchy, since I do not know her.
My husband then messages her 6 days later and told her that we have changed our mind and gave a different reason (to be nice and not have to mention the sketchiness and negative reviews we found on a different business of hers--the one our deposit was paid to). We lost our puppy (just like the one she is selling) in July, a puppy that our son was very attached to. We had planned to surprise him with this new puppy but after giving him hints, he was overcome with emotion and stated he wasn't ready to have another puppy (we lost ours tragically and he witnessed everything). We explained that reason to her and asked if she would refund the $250.00. She has told us no, that her policy was a non-refundable deposit. Again, that was not stated and we have not signed any contract on the purchase of the puppy. With all of this information, could we file a dispute and actually win the dispute?

My husband asked her nicely to reconsider. She then told him that she would give us $242 (minus the fess that PayPal charged her because I paid her through Goods and Services) towards a later purchase of another puppy, when my son decides he is ready. The thing is, after researching the business the deposit went to (the one we were not aware of until after payment), we no longer want a puppy from her. Also, once her female has another litter, it will be after the 180 day dispute time frame.

Again, I did not purchase or agree to pay for anything with the business name that my deposit went to.

Thank you kindly for your time. 

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CuriousK

Good thing you paid as goods and services. Just go to the transaction, click "Report a problem" and file a "item not received" dispute. Escalate to claim within 20 days to have PayPal step in and conduct communication and make a final decision. if you are getting nowhere with the other party in getting a full refund. Their no-refund policy doesn't matter. If by any chance you lose the case, and you paid via credit card, file a chargeback with card issuer.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

CuriousK
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I did pay with a credit card via PayPal. What if it's not time for me to receive my "Goods and Services" since the puppy is so young and not the adoptable age yet? Do I have any buyer protection in this case? I have read different suggestions on this, as in the seller doesn't have any protection because "live animals" isn't protected. And, I have also read that there is buyer protection. I have reviewed the policies and didn't notice live animals in the "no protection policies."

My note on my payment reads "deposit for boy Biewer puppy born 10/11/18."

Thank you again for your time.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CuriousK wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I did pay with a credit card via PayPal. What if it's not time for me to receive my "Goods and Services" since the puppy is so young and not the adoptable age yet? Do I have any buyer protection in this case? I have read different suggestions on this, as in the seller doesn't have any protection because "live animals" isn't protected. And, I have also read that there is buyer protection. I have reviewed the policies and didn't notice live animals in the "no protection policies."

My note on my payment reads "deposit for boy Biewer puppy born 10/11/18."

Thank you again for your time.

I would pick a puppy that is ready to adopt instead and get your refund on this deposit. The seller sounds iffy to me as it is. Then there is also the issue of PayPal not covering items that you have to pick up or picked up on your behalf, so some kind of way to track delivery of this pet is beneficial. On the other hand , if “no address needed “was selected on the payment by clicking the mailing address dropdown menu you may be covered in that way, making the purchase a service. Another issue is sending two payments to complete this transaction, as multiple payments are not covered. So if you are disputing, each payment would have to be disputed individually.

So it is best to look for a puppy ready to adopt and you send payment as goods and service but select “no address needed” as you are picking up the pet and everything checks out ok (it’s health, etc) in one full payment. But all of this could be moot if you fall back on your credit card chargeback rights since they are broader than PayPal purchase protection.

Sometimes the business name may be different on PayPal account than what the seller is using but as long as there is an account that PayPal can hold responsible for liability and you paid with card, you are in a good position.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

candi681
Contributor
Contributor

I have just went through this too! a deposit for a puppy for 250.00 and he/she took my money and it was an email address. i am asking for paypal to refund my transaction. I have the person's email.

Login to Me Too

Pendleburu17
Contributor
Contributor
Hi. I am in a situation myself right now and was wondering what eventually happened with your transaction?
Login to Me Too

candi681
Contributor
Contributor
I contacted PayPal directly and told them everything ! That the person took my money and than closed their account down and I PayPal is suppose to be a secure account ! They have to her is/ her personal info to get my money back! They did an investigation took awhile but I got my money back !!!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.