Problems with PP charging customer full price instead of discounted price

CN4BMH
Contributor
Contributor

I had a customer file a dispute because he says his credit card was charged $74.27 instead of $9.99.  I check the paypal transaction on the dispute and we show we were credited 9.99.  The invoice on our website shows the customer ordered an item for $64.99, paid $5.00 in shipping, and applied a discount code for $60.00.  Our paypal transaction matches, including the discount.  If I attempt to refund the customer in the dispute, it only allows $9.99.

I contacted my customer directly and he sent the screenshot from his credit card showing:

$74.27 VISA Credit Card x-xxxx

You'll see "PAYPAL *My Company's Name" on your card statement.

I provided all the information in the dispute and also contacted Merchant Technical Services to be certain that our API is communicating correctly with PayPal.  MTS came back stating that all was normal and our token showed the correct amount was charged. MTS further told me "This should be an issue with the customer/buyer internal funding source issue. Please let us know for further assistance."  Which doesn't make sense to me at all, as PP is the one telling the customer's credit card the total amount needed to complete the purchase.  Further emails with MTS only confirmed we were credited $9.99 and transaction was normal.

I can't get anyone at PP to acknowledge that, much less figure out, WHY my customer's credit card was charged the full amount.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_paula

Hi CN4BMH and welcome. 

We are always happy to have new members. 

From reading your post it sounds to me like your buyer may have had a negative balance when they initiated the transaction. This would have taken the amount you charged which you say was $9.99 after the discount and any negative balance. If you have checked from your side and everything is showing as correct then this is the only explanation I can think of. If you are still in contact with your buyer I would recommend that you ask them to check this. 

I hope this helps, 

Paula 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

PayPal_paula

Hi CN4BMH and welcome. 

We are always happy to have new members. 

From reading your post it sounds to me like your buyer may have had a negative balance when they initiated the transaction. This would have taken the amount you charged which you say was $9.99 after the discount and any negative balance. If you have checked from your side and everything is showing as correct then this is the only explanation I can think of. If you are still in contact with your buyer I would recommend that you ask them to check this. 

I hope this helps, 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

CN4BMH
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you. I contacted customer service and they confirmed this was the case.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Glad to hear it. 🙂

Login to Me Too

Margz-Rudy-Soph
New Community Member
I was a customer that paid full price for an item then after it shipped, somehow a discount was applied after the fact for $1.30. I am confused and seeking information as the bank withdrew $66.66 but the invoice says that I was charged $65.36. I am wondering if I am missing something here. Anyone have any ideas?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.