Problems with Chinese companies and lack of communication

Lsloan
Contributor
Contributor

We have dealt with a number of Chinese companies, and get no communication, no replies, and no explanations.
We tried to dispute with PayPal, but PayPal was completely AWOL. Even in the face of no product and no communications, PayPal refuses to intervene or to protect the buyer.
PayPal is quickly becoming unreliable. They send your money, take their cut, but you get no representation when it goes south when working with a Chinese seller.
Very disappointing.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

farnaby23
Contributor
Contributor
Yea, I bought a treadmill from a Chinese company, they sent me a bumbag and when I opened the dispute they favoured the Chinese company (ouyi group) because they had a tacking number that said item was delivered, they're not even interested in what item was delivered. I'll be looking into alternatives to PayPal from now on.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@farnaby23 

@Lsloan 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy. The site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) but they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost often more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number. if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. Rarely company address information.
4. Great pictures of items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.
5. Fake reviews.
6. Google and you can often see previous company names as they change them once enough claims roll in and Paypal stop them using their services and start over.

However lots of folks do get refunds by pursuing a paypal claim BUT you have to do it properly.

For instance do NOT open a dispute for non receipt of item if you have received something as the seller would win if they could provide tracking. You should open one for item received but not as described ie wrong item and then you should get a refund on return of the item to the seller.

Make sure you have escalated to a claim.

Make sure you have activated the 'return shipping on us' link if available in your countries.

And post back if you want advice on how to appeal etc. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Lsloan
Contributor
Contributor

All good advice, but we did all of the above and still got nowhere. An additional problem is that PayPal does not allow for chat, in person or on line, nor do they provide an email or even a physical address you can send mail to.
They are faceless and you are voiceless if you disagree with their decisions.
I use Paypal until I can find an alternative that actually listens to their customers and allows for person to person communications.

Login to Me Too

farnaby23
Contributor
Contributor
Yea I've downloaded Google pay anyways, actually quite a good app as you can add your gift cards, loyalty cards etc and use them all with one click. Every cloud........
Login to Me Too

Lsloan
Contributor
Contributor

The steps you outlined remove all the responsibility from the seller to be legitimate, and from Paypal to support the buyer's rights.
Sellers and PayPal profit from all the transactions and hence should bear the majority of the responsibility to police their ranks and correct unfair business practices.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lsloan 

You have a responsibility as well to research who you purchase from?

Paypal would not be able to check every individual seller / merchant / company in over 200 countries worldwide that adds paypal to their website to accept payments.

So they give you 'some' buyer protection but the onus is on you to risk assess your transactions.

They do stop bad companies from using Paypal when enough claims start rolling in.
However as they are in China (mostly) then its easy for them to just start over with a new name, so stopping them does not really do anything.

The BEST thing is to not buy from them in the first place.

However if you have then you need to 'play the game'  properly with these scammers to help paypal help you get a refund from them.

Hence the advice I give.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Betbuf
Contributor
Contributor
I have had the same issue and no solution from PayPal. I'm really disappointed in them.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Betbuf 

If you say what steps you have taken and what happened, may be able to advise as these scammers know how to play the system so you need to do so as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.