Problem with Escalating Claim - Paypal negligence

DonnaJ25
Contributor
Contributor

I recently made a claim because the goods I received were damaged.  The total amount was £672 but I was only asking for a partial refund because I couldn't return the goods.  The seller wouldn't discuss the matter and so I rang up to ask paypal for advice.  The agent told me I should escalate the claim and that paypal would sort it out for me.  However, when she escalated the claim, she changed it from a partial refund to a full refund and now I've been told that that is the only option.  I specifically told her that I did not want to claim a full refund as I couldn't return the goods.  I've rung customer services twice and today the agent confirmed that the previous agents had lied to me, let me down and that, as a result, I had lost money due to paypal's negligence.  However, he refused to do anything to help me.  I've tried contacting paypal again but no-one will reply to my messages.  Just wondered if anyone here had any advice.  Thanks!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DonnaJ25 

Any partial refunds are between you and the seller in the dispute phase, if not offered then you can't accept.

Once escalated to a claim the only option paypal give you is a full refund on return of the item back to the seller.

They help with return shipping costs if you have activated the below link.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

Lastly if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then see if they can help you with a chargeback?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DonnaJ25 

Any partial refunds are between you and the seller in the dispute phase, if not offered then you can't accept.

Once escalated to a claim the only option paypal give you is a full refund on return of the item back to the seller.

They help with return shipping costs if you have activated the below link.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

Lastly if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then see if they can help you with a chargeback?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DonnaJ25
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much!  At least I understand what happened now.  When I rang to ask for advice, I told the agent that I only wanted a partial refund but she told me that I had to escalate the claim.  Sounds like she got it wrong, but at least I know.  I did use a credit card as the funding source, so I'll try that.  Thanks again!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.