Problem getting refund via Paypal Dispute Case which was prematurely closed

jmiller2414
Contributor
Contributor

I had a Avast software subscription that I thought was cancelled.  I failed to realize that when I cancelled Avast subscription ($79.99) a few months ago (and removed all of their software) that I had a second subscription that I was paying for.  I got a bill notification via Paypal had paid amount of $89.99 via Digital River who was the financial collection agent for Avast. Instead of contacting Avast first, which I should have done, I entered a dispute with Paypal for refund.  Paypal apparently and appropriately contacted Digital River. DR (Digital River) told them the payment was authorized.   As far as Digital River was concerned, the payment was authorized.  Paypal simply closed the dispute not in my favor.  I tried to get it reopened without success.  I finally figured out the second subscription deal and contacted Avast which should have been the first step, as it turns out.  Avast noted the situation and very graciously agreed to refund the $89.99 thru Paypal.  However, they sent me an email saying they had tried but were unable because there had been a dispute and it was closed.  As I understand it, the dispute needs to be open so the refund will flow back into my Paypal account.  I called Paypal via telephone about 3 days ago, waited 25 minutes for someone to handle the call and finally got a Paypal rep.  She was very helpful, so I thought, and said she would reopen the case but I just got another email from Paypal that my dispute has been cancelled.  I sent back an email with the documentation that Avast had agreed to refund but was unable due to Paypal not opening dispute up so the refund could process. The rep had told me it would take approx 10 days to get refund but I got this last email that, I believe, cancels the refund.  I do not know what to do next.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jmiller2414 

Ask Avast to refund you using the friends/family option?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.