Potential for a chargeback on Gumtree(?)

Amberscarf
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I've just sold a laptop on Gumtree for £600, the seller was quite specific that the invoice had buyer protection (in his words "So that we're both protected") which I thought made complete sense, and am now just waiting for the funds to clear my account.

For the record, the laptop is in tiptop condition and is boxed, etc.

But after a bit of research I've discovered an issue called 'chargebacks' whereby the buyer can purchase the item and then upon receiving can then claim to have not received the item/or that it does not match the description; etc.

I called PayPal for peace of mind, and when I cheekily asked if this buyer had a history of chargebacks, he couldn't respond due to data protection, which I expected but he did say "Don't worry, if you record delivery and take photo's of it's good condition, you are covered under 'seller's protection'.

But I dunno, I'm thinking of just refunding him and calling it off, what assurances do I have here? My ebay account attached to my Paypal account it 100% - 200+ transactions, and this ties in with the call handlers comment that "as long as your account was in good standing you are protected" but again this chargeback thing sounds like a nightmare.

What should I do?

Thoughts/opinions please, before I post!

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.