Postage refund issues

himmelske
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I recently purchased an item which came from Canada and I am in the UK. When it came through it was beyond shoddy. Very badly made, missold, and even had a large spelling mistake on the item's main box title! It was not worth even a quarter of what I paid for it I have requested a refund through PayPal which has been accepted, but my problem is that postage is not included... The two international postage quotes I have obtained through the main postal services come up as larger than the refund for the item! The buyer has stated that they do not refund postage. Any ideas please on what to do now...? Thank you!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@himmelske

Paypal buyer protection can never be a 100% coverall, so in the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction .....
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

himmelske
Contributor
Contributor
But when you order, you don't expect things to come through in such a bad state...? Should I never order from abroad in case the item is defected then...? Not refunding postage when your product is so shoddy is bad in my opinion.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@himmelske

You can buy from where you like and most times its fine BUT as I said paypal buyer protection can never be a 100% coverall.

So if the item comes and its not as described and its too expensive to return then that sadly is one of the risks of online buying especially internationally.

We have all been burnt at some time or another.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.