Possible scam

Bertrum_Bassett
Contributor
Contributor

Hi folks, I had a transaction earliwr this week and i'm unsure what to do. I was selling a phone on gumtree and when i woke in the morning i had a message asking to text a phone # if it was still for sale. I texted the guy and we negotiated a deal where paypal and postage was payment, delivery method. This was last monday. I offered the guy tracked and traced mail but he declined saying it cost too much and he wanted regular first class mail. Alarm bells rang then. Anyway, i couldn't post it on monday so i posted it at 2pm tuesday. I told him it was posted and he demanded tracking #, which there obviously wasn't. By 6pm tuesday, 4 hours later, he raised dispute, citing no tracking #. I responded, tell paypal there was none and why. Overnight paypal ruled in my favour and at 4am wednesday i had text messages saying i would be hunted down and voicemail at 5am with threats of violence and police. Come 8am wednesday he changed his dispute to phone not received. 16 hours after being posted by first class. I reaponded again, saying it was virtually impossible to arrive in that time and paypal kept it open a few days. On Saturday, Paypal ruled in his favour as he claimed phone not arrived. I have no way of proving it as no tracking etc because phoneguy refused tracked and traced. So i appealed later Saturday, citing he chose no tracking etc, screwnshot of txt message refusing tracked mail, choosing ordinary, and i thought he was a scammer. And no way to prove either way. Sunday morning at 5am i received death threats by text message from Phoneguy. Lovely. Tonight Paypal ruled in his favour. Is that the end of my recourse and am i in the wrong. Apologies for length

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bertrum_Bassett 

Tracking is for your protection and not the buyers so why would you allow them to tell you to send untracked?

I would either refuse and get another customer OR pay the extra for tracking myself.

In the event of an item not received dispute the ONLY way paypal can tell who is right is by the seller providing a tracking number that proves delivery of the item to the buyer, no tracking =  you will lose that dispute unfortunately.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Bertrum_Bassett
Contributor
Contributor
Yeah i thought that would be the way of it. There was no other interest so i went with their offer. Stupid. So after an appeal that is end end? Thank you for your time by the way.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.