Possible Package Rerouting Scam?

AndrewTG9
Contributor
Contributor

About 2 weeks ago, I sold something to a guy with Invoiced Paypal Seller protection. I didn't bother to check the address of the buyer (stupid), but today I decided to track the package to see where it was, and it turns out that the delivery was unable to be delivered. This was because the buyer gave me a fake address of a shopping place. I have proof of shipping, and I also have proof of shipping on Paypal directly by giving it a tracking info. Will I be okay or could I still get scammed?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AndrewTG9

You are covered if you sent the item to the paypal registered address of the buyer at the time of the sale.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

joshlew
Contributor
Contributor

You are NOT covered if it is rerouted, and you demonstrably did not request a reroute.

We made an ebay sale to a buyer who's ebay account was hacked. Ebay has sent us written proof that the account was "taken over."

We shipped to the verified account.

From the hacked ebay account the buyer had enough information, AND their own fedex account, to initiate a reroute.

They then charged the purchase back as unauthorized. Paypal would not cover us because the item was not delivered to the correct address (of course it wasn't). We have proof of shipment to the verified address.

Although we did everything that we are required to do for Paypal's  seller protection we are not "protected" from fraud originating from this demonstrably fraudulent purchase through a hacked eBay account.

Ebay will not absorb the loss for providing purchases from fraudsters. Paypal will not cover it because they cannot prove that it was delivered to the authorized address. Fedex can at its own discretion choose to reroute if the recipient calls and has enough correct personal information and a valid fedex account, to PAY FOR the reroute themselves.

Be warned. You are not protected.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.