Please help! Money taken from my account

JaneStockwell
Contributor
Contributor
I have had £149 taken from my account from a company who misled me, advising it would just be £11.99. I have been in touch with the company who have basically admitted this. PayPal are saying there is no unauthorised activity and closed my dispute. I need to pursue this further but don't know how to do this with PayPal as its closed. I'm so upset as I use PayPal as they are supposed to protect me.
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Purplepurple1
Contributor
Contributor
I am having the same problem. My money got sent to a person with the same name as the person it was supposed to go to for a down payment on a car .I never even entered an email address to send it to just the phone number but PayPal sent it to this person who I don't even know and this person will not return it .I'm so upset. I filed a case but it got closed because they say it was not there mistake. I lost 2500 to PayPal's mistake and some guy just got away with it and he won't answer my emails .What can I do to get my money back .
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Purplepurple1 

Why is it paypal fault?

You are the one that sent the money to the phone number you wished it to go to.

If paypal did as you asked and it turns out the phone number wasn't linked to a paypal account belonging to the person you wanted to send the funds to then that wasn't paypals fault.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JaneStockwell 

Paypal may well assist you with getting a refund from your chosen scam seller if you opened the correct dispute !!!

A dispute for an unauthorised transaction is telling paypal that your account was hacked and used without your consent to make that transaction.
Paypal would check IP addresses and devices and close the dispute if it was you that made the transaction.

You are only allowed 1 dispute per transaction so the only way you can get a second dispute opened is to contact Paypal (when and if you can) and see if they will open a second dispute for you.
They may decline citing policies but if you say what happened then they might open a second dispute for you.

If not then if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then consider contacting your card issuer and see if they will help you with a chargeback?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.