Persecuted and harassed for being a Good Samaritan

Jesse26Bugs
New Community Member

Good morning community, my name is Jesse and I opened my PayPal account a few months ago. I met some new acquaintances in my line of work that I thought I could trust, boy was I wrong. I was out with a few of these ladies one evening when one of them named Amy asked me if I would receive money from her thru my PayPal account. I thought this kind of odd so I asked her why and she told me that she had exceeded her limit for the month on her debit card, so she couldn’t receive any cash from an ATM and that’s why she needed my help, you see she wanted to send me the money through my PayPal account and then I could cash it out through my checking account and then swipe my debit card and give her the money back. To shorten the story, I’ll get straight to the point… she had already asked several people in our Entourage if they would be willing to except the money and one of them said yes. The one that said yes her name is Ashley but she didn’t have enough money in her checking account to cover the extraction of the money to give back to Amy. I honestly thought it was an harmless transaction and I did not know that they could dispute a transaction like that but I do now. Amy had already sent the money to Ashley and Ashley told her she couldn’t take it out of her account because she didn’t have enough money to cover it in her checking account so after Amy convinced me to except the funds she had Ashley send it from her PayPal account to my PayPal account. It took about 25 minutes for it to hit my checking account once I cashed it out and then I used my debit card at the ATM at the establishment that we were at to withdraw the money that Amy had sent me. Little did I know that Amy and Ashley had conspired together to dispute the transaction so they could get double the money. They disputed the transaction almost immediately after I cashed it out and PayPal begin an investigation and when alI was settled, somehow PayPal found me at fault and now my account is debited $130 in the negative, for being a good Samaritan. I find it all very strange how I can become a victim of a scam for helping someone. And PayPal is not willing to work with me or willing to trace the thread of where the money originated. Instead they want me to pay them $130 when I don’t owe them or Amy or Ashley $130. Without paying $130 how do you recommend I resolve this matter? Very truly, Jesse <removed>

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jesse26Bugs 

File police report on those them. Make it official. Then appeal the dispute through the resolution center or by calling customer service. These people can graduate for larger amounts if they are not stopped. 

To contact customer service for assistance:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. 

Or contact via social media:

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

This doesn't just happen in person, this also can happen over the net with a fraudster posing as a facebook friend and give some sob story about their account and want you to accept some money to cash out for them at your bank to their bank and boom a dispute is filed. I've read reports on here from other incidents occurring with more money than $130.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.