Permanently Limited Account no explanation

Mattpartain
Contributor
Contributor
My account was permanently limited by I have scoured the user agreement and KNOW I did not violate in any way. My funds are "stuck" for 180 days. I have called and tried to get an explanation and get told nothing. This cannot be legal. It's happening to so many people. I have contacted the BBB and urge anyone else in this situation to do the same. Maybe with enough people trying to stop this injustice, something can be done. A class action lawsuit is needed and necessary to put a stop to this unfair shady business and their practices!
Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mattpartain 

Paypal don't give reasons, just that you have violated their policy, that can range from an underage account holder to a seller accepting friends / family payments for sales.

But if you think about it why would they limit your paypal account for NO reason? Paypal want us to open and use paypal accounts as that is how they get their fees when we sell OR from the seller when we buy goods.

A limited account is no good to them really so they wouldn't do it for nothing.

Also not a lot of point complaining as its paypals site and if they don't want your business anymore then sadly they don't have to accept it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Mattpartain
Contributor
Contributor
Well, although you seem to have good feedback, you are flat wrong about your reply to me. I know, without a doubt, that I did not violate in any of the ways you mentioned. As a matter of fact, scouring the user agreement, the only thing that hit even close to my personal use of PayPal that could be considered a violation was that I had an uptick in sales the week leading to my account being limited. Basically telling, I used their service too much, which doesn't make the slightest sense. I always use goods, just to ensure they get their fees, I didn't even transfer to my bank account, which was free, I transfered to my debit card, to give them a fee. I have spoken with another person who had a suddenly lender account. They wrote multiple entities, and finally, when legal got involved, PayPal restored their account. The reason they stated it was banned, I saw the official email, was PayPal "thought the account was used to stream adult videos." They limited that account because they thought it was used for cam video sales. After legal threats, PayPal said they looked at the case closer and decided the account didn't violate. That person used their account for the same thing I did. Selling/buying lapel pins. I could gladly pull up my activity to prove I did nothing wrong. They have limited 100s of accounts in the lapel pin community, including businesses. It's not legit, it's crap. They want business, sure, but they also want to freeze money so that they have access and the OWNER doesn't. So, knowledgeable though you may be, you are gravely mistaken on your thoughts for my situation. Thanks
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mattpartain 

I gave you 'advice' on how the permanent limitation process works.

My advice is correct, the fact that you didn't like hearing it is your problem and not mine.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Shannonmd38
This too has happened to me I just got into my PayPal account I just signed up for it like 4 days ago and haven't done any transactions have been nothing to it but then they say that I violated something but how is that possible like I haven't been on it this is the only second time I access my account so I don't get it I've done nothing thanks a lotand this is the reference number they gave me didn't explain anything why they did it or nothing PP-008-404-037-211
Login to Me Too

AmyFisher_06
Contributor
Contributor
I will gladly go in on a class action lawsuit against them if someone has already filed one. I researched BBB's customer complaints against PayPal and also the visitor posts on Paypal's page. There are SO many people going through this same frustration! I have been a long-time customer with no problems with my account and all of a sudden I try to transfer my funds to my bank account and my account is temporarily limited. So I submit all the documentation they want, wait for over a week and then have to contact customer service to get my case escalated. I am then told, "I’m sorry you no longer have access to our services. This type of decision isn’t something we do lightly, and I can assure you that we fully review all factors of an account before making this type of decision. While I understand that you don’t agree with the outcome, this is something that would have been fully reviewed and we would be unable to change. From time to time we may need to cease doing business with an account if that account exhibits activity that we feel is high risk, or could negatively impact the PayPal system or its users. If there is a balance in the account, that will be held for up to 180 days to minimize any potential risk of loss due to disputes or chargebacks that may be filed during that period. After 180 days, you’ll be notified of your ability to withdraw the balance. If you have any issues then, please let us know. I regret that we’re unable to provide the answer you’re looking for in this situation, and hope you have a good day." I responded wanting to know the exact transaction that caused the permanent limitation and I get "I'd be unable to speak to any account specifics here on Twitter, and we generally wouldn't be able to share any specific reason on why we come to this type of decision as it speaks to the proprietary ways in which PayPal helps to prevent fraudulent activity. I am sorry about that Amy but I do hope you have a good rest of your evening." Refusing to explain to me what I did or what happened to my account leads me to believe that I did nothing and for some unknown reason the company has chosen to discriminate. This is unethical and fraudulent. It is theft. I want my money released to me now.
Login to Me Too

elijahvores

I am also going through this same issue. Ive been dealing with this problem for months with no luck. Maybe it would be in your best interest to open a lawsuit against PayPal. I'm considering doing it myself.

Login to Me Too

Ryan737
Contributor
Contributor
Hi why have you permanently restricted my account ? I have literally done nothing wrong I haven’t even been given a reason as to why I got restricted . A while ago I was asked for allot of information for example , details on sales and suppliers and ID etc , I provided all of this within about a day of it being requested. I’d appreciate you getting back to me , you are essentially a online banking system and in my eyes you are targeting me and limiting me from my rightfully earned money. My account was in this Email. And by the way my name is Ryan not Rayn that was a spelling error, and I made official attempts to change that and just got ignored . Please get back soon Ryan .
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.