Permanent Limitation

mattthu
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

I recently received an email stating my account has been permanently limited. There was no specific reason other than "After a recent review of your account activity, we've determined you are in violation of PayPal's Acceptable Use Policy. As a result, we've permanently limited your account.". I wish I'd known the reason to atleast know what I did wrong and thus appeal the limitation. I did call the help center but all they told me was that the people or AI that reviews the activities have not given any information and they can't help me with any way. I have used PayPal responsibly for a long time, but until now, they just come and tell me that my activities are against their policies. Is there any way I could get help from them inside? I cant even open the Resolution Center as it only states that I am unable to use Paypal now and that is all.

Kind regards,

Matthew

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

tagliatelle
Contributor
Contributor

I have just had this happen and I am infuriated. I use paypal for various reasons: friends and family who want to send my children gifts; I use it for my business (I am a freelance writer); and for paying items like iTunes, topping up my online phone system, etc.  

What kills me is the manner in which PayPal behaves. It is draconian: they want to make money from us and they do, no problems. They have a question with our account, why not write or call us? They have our email. This is highly  unprofessional to feel tired, found guilty and to have no idea why? My dealings with PayPal have been above the board entirely and I really take issue with how they have treated me as a customer.  This also raises ethical issues if companies like this can behave like a one-eyed machine without any accountability to the customer much less privacy laws. For instance, when the EU office I called tonight didn't answer, it was closed, I called the US office. After three hours on hold, they told me that they couldn't see why this has happened but would put in a request for a review. I said this was incredible that someone who gives PayPal an enormous amount of money and who is a single parent would be put in a position to have to call and wait on hold for three hours only to be told, "We have no idea why this has happened." And then she said I would have to write their legal team and hire my own attorney. I informed her of the EU privacy laws and the fact that we have the right to any and all data on us without an attorney. I was pretty shocked by this office's lack of understanding of the law and of consumer rights.  

I am pretty much done with PayPal. In the past when they would hold money or send automated messages in response to my questions that clearly showed no human had read my question, I was willing to put this aside.  But I have just lost four hours of my life and still don't know what I allegedly "did". I looked over all their rules and regulations and have not broken any. I find this outrageous and I can only encourage more people to jump ship. Had this not happened to me, I would be very worried about a company that sends out an email that looks like spam, telling you that your account is permanently disabled and gives no reason. 

This is not how to maintain human relations. Largely because it is inhuman. 

Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

some of the reasons which could get your account limited-

if a person is dealing in certain goods and services not allowed by Paypal,eg marijuana sale.

fee avoidance by accepting payment under friend and family when in fact it is a business transaction.

it is not a good idea to use one account for both types of transactions.

filing too  many disputes,bouncing too many checks etc 

Login to Me Too

tagliatelle
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I read the violations on PayPal's website.  I am a writer.  I have never filed a grievance with Paypal, no bounced anything. My account has always been in good standing.  I refuse writing jobs on issues that PayPal's veto list doesn't even cover (ie. I work in human rights). 

I have one account because I have one bank account. I don't think you can have two accounts to the same bank account.  None of it makes sense and I just looked over many complaints of PayPal on the BBB website in the US and it seems this is not a one-off for PayPal.  In business, you generally give people a means to answer to your queries or suspicions. It is all quite rotten. 

Login to Me Too

Abdul1989
Contributor
Contributor

I also received this same message out of a sudden, I am only a buyer and not a seller, and I have not used the account for over three months, yet my account was permanently limited and that they no longer offer you PayPal services.

I called them but they told me nothing, as they cannot see any issue on my account and they only gave me an email  to contact as they are the only department that can know why the account was limited.

I have sent them an email and still waiting their response. It is very unfortunate.

Login to Me Too

Liannesarahj
Contributor
Contributor
This exact same situation has just happened to me. Have read the AUP’s over and over again and I have not violated any of the policies. I have been a PayPal customer for over 10 years so I am very confused/distressed about this sudden suspension. Did anyone manage to get to the bottom of this?
Login to Me Too

Abdul1989
Contributor
Contributor

No unfortunately,

I contact them so many times ever time I just get the same replay you have violated the AUP.

Even calling them did not do any good, as the call center are not able to see why my account was closed.

hopefully we could fix this, I even tried to create a new account with new email and new credit card but still the new account got permanent limitation too after only two weeks.

Regards.

Login to Me Too

bqman17

I'm in the same boat as everyone else that has replied. Now I need to find a new service as I need a PayPal like service for work that i am going to be performing. 

Any ideas on a suitable replacement to PayPal? I started looking into Pay Simple. 

thx!

Login to Me Too

wita6689
Contributor
Contributor

This happen to me as well, I just dont understand why. I use paypal to send and receive money to my friend and family. I was really shock that suddenly got an email that my paypal is limit permanently. I really confused. I try to call the service center and it REALLY NOT help. They just rude. They say we cannot help you with that. I mean at least give me the reason why my account is being limit. I m using my own ID, Bank Account and CC. And now all that information being hold by Paypal as my money as well. I feel hopeless and cannot do anything.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.