Paypal supporting fraudulent Chinese sellers

dspeed
Contributor
Contributor

I have had more escalations for fraudulent practices from Chinese sellers via PayPal in the past 6 months than I've ever had in the history of my years using PayPal. For each one, PayPal's policies and processes are so weak that it allows the sellers to ship bad or fake merchandise and still collect the bulk of the funds from us as buyers. The bad seller tactics are to demand items be returned that they say didn't arrive, the sellers extend response times so that you spend months trying to get your funds returned, and usually to no avail because at the last minute they offer a fraction of what the buyer lost. For each of my cases PP has allowed them to keep my funds in their entirety if I don't want to settle for pennies of my original cost. At this point I am closing my PP account for which I had processed thousands upon thousands of dollars over the years. They don't want us as a customer and are doing nothing to make this better. My businesses will also no longer use PP as a payment option. I really wish PP would actually review these cases to see how many people are being abused and how they are allowing these fake sellers to fraudulently steal money via their systems.

Login to Me Too
85 REPLIES 85

RobeLyons
Contributor
Contributor

They will have COVID19 eliminated before you get money back.

Login to Me Too

Fuzzy341

I so agree! this happened to me too and i am closing my account with pay pal. When i purchased my items it said the company was in New Jersey. I sent the order then had a question so i tried emailing them and calling but it was all fake. I immediately contacted pay pal and told them. Of course their comment was did I contact the seller and when i told them everything they sent notice to the company. Of course the online company sent them a shipping number saying it was shipped. I tracked it and it said it was from China. It took over a month to get this $2.00 item that i did not order. I contacted pay pal and they asked for documentation. I sent them the receipt from the online company showing what I ordered plus pictures of the items. I also took a picture of the item they sent and showed them that was not what i ordered and they still closed the case and wont return my money. I can not believe this company would allow their platform to be used to scam people but they do. It makes me question if they get a percentage of the money they are scamming. i am so frustrated at this point it is either find a lawyer and sue them or take them to small claims court. if you have not used this company don't it is just a headache. My bank said if it had gone completely through them they would have given me my money back as soon as i contacted them but because it was debited to pay pal they are responsible and i have to get my money back from the. Does anyone have upper management information? Lord knows you can not talk to anyone when you call them which i also think is a bunch of crap!

Login to Me Too

Poco1
Contributor
Contributor

EXACTLY THE WAY IT WORKS! Your bank turned you down?  "My bank said if it had gone completely through them they would have given me my money back as soon as i contacted them but because it was debited to pay pal they are responsible and i have to get my money back from the."  That is what PayPal is telling me to do. They are saying to turn it in to my credit card company, they in turn will contact PayPal for assistance, and PayPal will see the money is credited back to the account. NOW- that was after many different lies on why they ruled against me and for the Chinese Retailing Scammer.

Login to Me Too

RobeLyons
Contributor
Contributor

PP does not care!!!!!

Login to Me Too

RobeLyons
Contributor
Contributor

Closing my account and Using only VENMO and Credit Cards....  I'm done with PP

Login to Me Too

Ethel72
Contributor
Contributor
Same thing has happened to me!
Login to Me Too

AdvoK8
Contributor
Contributor
More than one person in this thread have found your responses problematic. No need for this graceless victim-blaming you continue to engage in here. Many people have been **bleep** out of funds: we are within our rights to criticize PayPal’s policies. Obviously we will likely just have to eat the loss, but many of us are not in a position to just absorb the loss and “move on”.
Login to Me Too

Ethel72
Contributor
Contributor
I am severely disabled and saved for years for the electric wheelchair that never came. I have gone through the whole process with PayPal and got nowhere I pay by debit card butPp have taken so long they can’t help me. I find your post smug and arrogant. Do you work for PayPal???
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ethel72 

Yet oddly my ''attitude'' has helped thousands get refunds by giving them the FACTS of how paypal works and giving them the FACTS on how to work the system, so I will continue with my attitude to help them thanks.

You may not like how a dispute works out but if you haven't bothered to read the short section on buyer protection so you can risk assess your own transactions then sadly you may well miss out on a refund.

Paypal are just a payment processor that gives 'some' seller and 'some' buyer protection, the rest is up to us to select our sellers carefully and if we luck out then Paypal will assist us in trying to get our money back again, there are no guarantees, even some credit cards are turning down disputes for not as described from these scam China websites OR Social Media ads.

If you would like advice on your dispute then post back what you have done so far and happy to assist....and no I don't work for  Paypal and wouldn't want to thanks, I just give up my time to try and help folks get their money back or learn about how the system works.

But sadly folks don't like it when I point out that Paypal are doing exactly what they say they will do in their buyer protection policy and not what the buyer ''thinks'' that they should do.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

peterhw
Contributor
Contributor

I am very sorry to hear of your problem but your attitude to people trying to help is a little un-gracious.
Clearly, I have no idea the route you have taken but I have been successful when I have challenged PayPal - but have followed their processes (best I could).

I would add my problem have usually been eBay sales.

I did manage to get a substantial refund on a 'Training Program' (NON eBay) which failed to meet it's own guarantee.  I suspect in some cases just going down the PayPal complaints process is sufficient to push a genuine vendor (who probably depends on PayPal) to eventually do the decent thing.

Be patient and keep trying.

Hope you achieve success

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.