Paypal supporting fraudulent Chinese sellers

dspeed
Contributor
Contributor

I have had more escalations for fraudulent practices from Chinese sellers via PayPal in the past 6 months than I've ever had in the history of my years using PayPal. For each one, PayPal's policies and processes are so weak that it allows the sellers to ship bad or fake merchandise and still collect the bulk of the funds from us as buyers. The bad seller tactics are to demand items be returned that they say didn't arrive, the sellers extend response times so that you spend months trying to get your funds returned, and usually to no avail because at the last minute they offer a fraction of what the buyer lost. For each of my cases PP has allowed them to keep my funds in their entirety if I don't want to settle for pennies of my original cost. At this point I am closing my PP account for which I had processed thousands upon thousands of dollars over the years. They don't want us as a customer and are doing nothing to make this better. My businesses will also no longer use PP as a payment option. I really wish PP would actually review these cases to see how many people are being abused and how they are allowing these fake sellers to fraudulently steal money via their systems.

Login to Me Too
85 REPLIES 85

peterhw
Contributor
Contributor

I have just paid for a piece of TAT, complained, vendor provided BS responses and I requested refund via eBay.  Goods returned and refund received.

This is obviously a REFUND associated with eBay which is probably more straight forward.

I hadn't noticed anything to suggest this was a Chinese Vendor but the REFUND vendor name on Paypal was Chinese but no similar reference on eBay.  The products arrived quickly so maybe just some sort of forwarding / stocking organisation in the UK.

On a more general note - I have found Paypal very good in refunding obvious problems - I suspect much easier than a CREDIT CARD CHARGEBACK for example.  From my own experience I raise the issue quickly with Paypal - i.e. don't wait for ages in pointless dialogue.  The communication needs to be accurate - i.e. describe the nature of the problem in as much details as you have.  If you get a response from the vendor via Paypal then answer promptly and if not happy restate your requirement (maybe full REFUND). If possible save a screenshot of description / guarantees etc. If relevant state that the goods are not as expected and again if appropriate "Not Fit for Purpose" with explanation of why you think this.

Just be persistent, accurate and non compromising. 

The more information you give to Paypal the more likely they are to rule in your favour

All common sense but hope this helps someone

Login to Me Too

Rosyroads85
Contributor
Contributor

You are one of the fortunate ones.  A lot of customer experiences have resulted in “No Positive Endings.”

but, thanks for sharing your experience with PayPal.  

Login to Me Too

deezone13
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal continuously sides on the side of the sellers - I havde proof from the US post office that the shipment was not what I orderd unless you have this miracle shrink ray that can reduce a motorcyle,75"TV, Portable Air Conditioner, to under 1 ounce. what arrived was a small sack of some kind of seeds that I promptly threw out. because everything was in chinese I didn't even realize it was the supposed shipment. Paypal denied the case and said items were shipped. never verified with me or post office

Login to Me Too

Ethel72
Contributor
Contributor
I bought an electric wheelchair from a USA company who I later discovered were in fact Chinese. Their email was fake and they had 3 different company names all of which were fake. Nothing arrived until they sent a tracking number. It was an envelope with a cheap red scarf in. I put a claim in to PayPal who took ages to decide on the seller’s side and close the case. I have never got any of my money back. Furious with PayPal 🤬
Login to Me Too

rodrfami
Contributor
Contributor

sounds like a nice experience peterhw, however, that was not the case with me.  I filed the complaint within hours of realizing that this was a fake company... they indicated they were selling Brooks tennis shoes but it wasn't until I saw the paypal receipt that you can see they were a Chinese company.  No delay in submitting complaint and no delay in paypal rejecting... they indicated that it was a legitimate transaction.  I have experience one other case similar to this some years ago.  However, I had paid with a credit card.  The credit card refunded my money with very little hassle.

Once again... paypal is great when doing a transaction with family or when you have the goods/services already in your hand... outside of that, you are basically trusting the vendor to deliver their product... in my case, I was scammed.  Not a good feeling.

Login to Me Too
Solved

Poco1
Contributor
Contributor

VERY WELL SAID. IT REALLY COMES DOWN TO PAYPAL RESEARCHING THE ISSUES AND NOT GIVING A QUICK LIE TO COVER FOR THE SCAMMERS.

Login to Me Too

mito88
Contributor
Contributor

so the problem has been solved...

isn't that wonderful?

Login to Me Too

DannyLee80
Contributor
Contributor

No it is still happening to people 

Login to Me Too

Rosyroads85
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem.  PayPal sent me an email yesterday and closed my case...DENIED.  Chinese FAKE seller.  They ran an ad using Bestbuy website selling knock off Apple IPods.  I bought one because I am a Bestbuy customer.  The advertisement was for a pair of Apple iPods selling @ $89 for just one day.  It took shipment three weeks, of which I refused.  Bestbuy ships within a couple of days.  Then, I tried to contact the Chinese but there wasn’t any email address.  And, the website disappeared!  
So now, PayPal says they support the Chinese.  What’s up with that?  WTF?

I’m going to pursue this under handed operation  until I get my money back.

Login to Me Too

DannyLee80
Contributor
Contributor

If you paid using card go through the card company, I had to do this a few times myself because paypal refused to deal with an issue.

I had made the major mistake of using my paypal credit and lost, but do appeal against is and used the financial ombudsman as leverage as you write a formal complaint giving 28 day for a resolution before you escalate the issue to the financial ombudsman.

Make sure you keep every message logged and saved for evidence.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.