Paypal supporting fraudulent Chinese sellers

dspeed
Contributor
Contributor

I have had more escalations for fraudulent practices from Chinese sellers via PayPal in the past 6 months than I've ever had in the history of my years using PayPal. For each one, PayPal's policies and processes are so weak that it allows the sellers to ship bad or fake merchandise and still collect the bulk of the funds from us as buyers. The bad seller tactics are to demand items be returned that they say didn't arrive, the sellers extend response times so that you spend months trying to get your funds returned, and usually to no avail because at the last minute they offer a fraction of what the buyer lost. For each of my cases PP has allowed them to keep my funds in their entirety if I don't want to settle for pennies of my original cost. At this point I am closing my PP account for which I had processed thousands upon thousands of dollars over the years. They don't want us as a customer and are doing nothing to make this better. My businesses will also no longer use PP as a payment option. I really wish PP would actually review these cases to see how many people are being abused and how they are allowing these fake sellers to fraudulently steal money via their systems.

Login to Me Too
85 REPLIES 85

Rosyroads85
Contributor
Contributor

Esteemed Advisor.  Then, you’re likely correct.  So, you’re saying a lot of folks do not read the small print?

First of all, how does a customer determine between legitimate or not legitimate??  You must have skills others don’t?

Login to Me Too

flymav
Contributor
Contributor

First time getting scammed at PP for 9 dollars and PP response is pathetic. I'm sure they are hand in gloves with these chinese guys.

Ordered some product and never delivered and PP closed my case. LOL

Login to Me Too

flymav
Contributor
Contributor

I'll never use PP again after this experience. Called AMEX from which I paid PP and they refunded my money in 20 seconds. Now AMEX will deal with PP.

What a frikkin useless company PP; I can't believe they support these scammers. IF a company is a manufacturer/distributor, don't they do KYC. Ridiculous. 

Login to Me Too

fillip
Contributor
Contributor

Big DITTO. I started a claim sometime back at the beginning of August. I told PayPal that the product was a fraudulent ripoff.

The fraudulent site copied an Indiegogo product, that had not been produced yet, and pasted the Indiegogo photos and text on their website. I gave PP the Indiegogo product website URL that had an update advising people of fraudulent sites selling their products.

I'm still waiting for the product. My friend received his and it looked nothing like what was advertised on the fraudulent site. In fact, it was a total piece of crap that was terribly made and completely useless. This morning  I went to the fraudulent site and all the products are no longer available. Looks like the Chinese owners got the money and left.

I'm amazed that I gave all this info to PP and they keep extending my review date. I sent them an update that the fraudulent site is no longer advertising the fraudulent product. You can't find any products. It will be a waste of time and a more loss of money to ship this fraudulent product back for a refund. I'm totally disappointed with the way PP has handled this. 

Bottom line: I blame myself. I should have spent more time researching the site and the product. I'll accept whatever PP decides. Lesson learned. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fillip 

The fact your review date is being pushed is not a reflection on the claim you opened.

I think paypal are inundated with claims from these scam China web sites and so all claims are being pushed back.

As long as its not been closed then hang in there and you may get your refund. 

Also read paypals new policy updates as that new policy should stop a lot of these China scams.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@kernowlass 

Where can we access the new PP policies? Thanks.

Login to Me Too

fillip
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

Hey! Thank you for the insight! Kudo given! \(*<>*)/

My mindset is now: Hope for the best (get a refund) expect the worse ( no refund). 

Login to Me Too

Jmoreno21
Contributor
Contributor
Do you have a link to PayPal's new policy that you could share here?
Login to Me Too

Poco1
Contributor
Contributor

This looks more and more like PayPal's business plan. You did a lot of work to just give up.

Login to Me Too

lyn173
Contributor
Contributor

Like many others in this discussion, I have to blame myself for not sufficiently investigating the seller prior to purchase.  

However, I do feel that PP's resolution centre is not fit for purpose, as neither online or by any other means, does it allow a buyer the option to input all their circumstances.  Surely one should be allowed to respond to PP closing a case when there are pertinent details that don't fit on their form.

Particularly important in these COVID days when online shopping has increased.  It would be great to find a public enough platform to shame PayPal into more transparent disclosure of their policies, and to provide an accessible and efficient customer service centre.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.