Paypal supporting fraudulent Chinese sellers

dspeed
Contributor
Contributor

I have had more escalations for fraudulent practices from Chinese sellers via PayPal in the past 6 months than I've ever had in the history of my years using PayPal. For each one, PayPal's policies and processes are so weak that it allows the sellers to ship bad or fake merchandise and still collect the bulk of the funds from us as buyers. The bad seller tactics are to demand items be returned that they say didn't arrive, the sellers extend response times so that you spend months trying to get your funds returned, and usually to no avail because at the last minute they offer a fraction of what the buyer lost. For each of my cases PP has allowed them to keep my funds in their entirety if I don't want to settle for pennies of my original cost. At this point I am closing my PP account for which I had processed thousands upon thousands of dollars over the years. They don't want us as a customer and are doing nothing to make this better. My businesses will also no longer use PP as a payment option. I really wish PP would actually review these cases to see how many people are being abused and how they are allowing these fake sellers to fraudulently steal money via their systems.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Poco1
Contributor
Contributor

VERY WELL SAID. IT REALLY COMES DOWN TO PAYPAL RESEARCHING THE ISSUES AND NOT GIVING A QUICK LIE TO COVER FOR THE SCAMMERS.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
85 REPLIES 85

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dspeed 

Best not to buy from these then........

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

dspeed
Contributor
Contributor
I do check these things. And if it helps I’m a tech person who builds similar products and even as advanced as my own understanding is of shopping service validity, the problem is the holes in PP policy. You just said it’s ok for PP not to do it’s job and put the work on what would potentially be non-tech savvy people to be able to discern what is a valid site or not. These shopping experiences especially those embedded in products like Instagram don’t allow access always to being able to detect the identity of the seller. Thanks for your opinion though.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dspeed 

Can you point out where i said its ok for paypal not to do its job?

Can't remember posting that anywhere so please enlighten me?

As far as i can see i posted who you should not buy from?

Read and re-read my post and can't see anywhere where i said its ok for paypal not to do its job?

However what is their job?

Paypal give you 'some' buyer protection and 'some' seller protection.

That is not a 100% coverall OR an insurance policy so the onus is on all of us to risk assess our own transactions.

If you had paid via a credit card and you did not get a refund (which others have found out for SNAD disputes) then is the c.c. company not doing their job?

If you paid via a debit card or bank transfer and had 0 protection would you say they were not 'doing their job?' OR are they doing exactly what they say they will do just as paypal do?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Let me chime in and offer my 2 cents. As a payment processor (sort of like an escrow company), most consumers will automatically asume PP will provide some level of "purchase protection", so if buyer sends money (fulfilled buyer's part) and seller don't send item or send an obviously worthless item that has no semblence of whtr was ordered, then seller has not done his/her part and naturally buyer expects PP to act on buyer's behalf; it's just common sense, why else would people use PP?

Now PP is saying because we have the fine print to show we never promise purchase protection,is that ok in the eyes of the general public. I'll say no. Even in the eyes of the law I'll opine no as well, but I'm no expert.

PP is basically saying "gotcha" when victims of scams uing their platform seek remedy. Shameful. 

Login to Me Too

DannyLee80
Contributor
Contributor
I agree I am raising a complaint to office or fair trading and financial ombudsman as Paypal seem to be supporting the scamming companies and not blocking them from the platform. aibili-international.com is the main culprit and needs to be stopped. There is other places to report them and obviously PayPal are not interested in dealing with them and happy for them to keep scamming people.
Login to Me Too

oonsss1983
Contributor
Contributor
AGREED. I even gave PayPal the fake company name, email address, PayPal name etc etc and the "resolution" still went in the sellers favour.
Login to Me Too

deezone13
Contributor
Contributor

I didi the same - gave them all info and more then they asked for ------ Denied

Login to Me Too

dspeed
Contributor
Contributor
It’s fine, no need to be passive aggressive in defense of PP. like I said taking my business elsewhere. Not here to argue with their fans. It is what it is.
Login to Me Too

Paypal advisor? More like bootlicker, stop defending Paypal backing chinese scams 🤷🏻‍♂️
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.