Paypal request I return Item for refund but it's illegal for me to do so

MissLuney
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 

I'm seeking advice from anyone who might have been in this situation, or from a rep who can comment on why Paypal is requesting I break mailing laws to get my money back. I have no way of submitting this information on the claim itself because all I can do there is add a tracking number. I have sent a message via PP's customer service form, but while I wait for a response I'm wondering what my prospects/options are.

Paypal recently awarded a case in my favour over a laptop battery that was purchased from a (seemingly) UK website, but when it arrived weeks later it turned out to be an unusable counterfeit of an official brand. The problem is that they require me to ship back the battery to CHINA (which I had no idea I was buying from in the first place), however it would be illegal for me to mail it because it's classed as "dangerous goods" and my post office has made it clear that they would refuse to accept it, therefore I have no physical means of returning it. 

From what I can see in Paypal's policy, I should not be required to ship this back as I would be liable for prosecution: 

5.2. Return of item to Seller

When the Buyer files a Claim for PayPal Buyer Protection because of SNAD, the Buyer is required upon request by PayPal to return the item at his own expenses to the Seller or to another person or address as requested by PayPal during the Claim process, as well as to provide appropriate proof of shipment. The proof of shipment needs to contain at least the details required in the PayPal Seller Protection Policy for a proof of shipment of the Seller. PayPal will not request such return if there is the reasonable suspicion that the return of the item would result in a violation of existing law. PayPal reserves the right to request further documentation from the Buyer to support the Claim. The Buyer has to bear any costs that may arise from such request.

I'm hoping Paypal's request to return the battery is just an oversight on their part, otherwise they are officially asking me to break the law. Luckily I paid with my credit card, so I at least have that as a last line of action, but any advice or insight would be appreciated. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MissLuney

DO NOT rely on email................

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.
Freephone from a UK landline or UK mobile number.
When you get through either DO NOT select any options and just stay quiet OR say 'Agent' a few times.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MissLuney

Do what you can with the dispute, if you lose, re-open the case. For now, when the case is escalated to a claim, PayPal will communicate with you and the seller and may ask for additional info and you can tell them about your concern of returning a hazardous item. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

MissLuney
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply! Since the claim was awarded in my favour it seems to have limited me to only being able to provide a tracking number or close the claim, without being able to supply any additional info about this glaring problem. I had to submit a message via the generic customer service form about this, and I'm praying I get a response before my deadline on the 2nd. 

This is the worst time of year for it too since Paypal's responses will be delayed. 

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MissLuney

DO NOT rely on email................

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.
Freephone from a UK landline or UK mobile number.
When you get through either DO NOT select any options and just stay quiet OR say 'Agent' a few times.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

MissLuney
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you @kernowlass I called and spoke to a rep who advised me that I need to send evidence that I'm unable to ship the battery. Since I can't directly add info to the dispute itself, I'm back to waiting on an email response after emailing them the links to all of my local mail services that state on their websites/guides that shipping lone lithium ion batteries is prohibited. 

So am I back to waiting once again or should I call back to discuss the information I submitted? 

Many thanks

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MissLuney

Yes call back and hope you get an agent with a brain cell that should know its against the law to send batteries in the post.

UK customer services whilst based just outside Dublin should still know that UK law states this.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

MissLuney
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass Thank you so much for your help, after a couple of calls back and forth, I was sent a link where I could upload screenshots of RM's and other courier's Restricted Items details/links, and a very helpful rep was able to review the information, attach it to my case and pass it on to the next level of the claims department. She assured me that this wasn't the first time she's dealt with this exact scenario of being unable to return dangerous goods, and so she wrote up an accompanying report confirming that the issue is a valid one. I should hear back from PP in the next couple of days (Christmas not withstanding) hopefully with a final resolution. Smiley Happy

I'll update this thread when I hear anything, thanks again!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MissLuney

You found one? Well done, good luck.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

MissLuney
Contributor
Contributor

Update!

As it'd been a few days since I submitted my evidence, and it was getting close to the deadline for my response on my claim, I gave PP another call and the lady I got through to looked it over and immediately updated the status to reviewed/closed with a full refund to me. 🙂 Thank you all for your help! Have a great new year!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.