Paypal refund/return policy

Contributor
Contributor

I bought an expandable hose on ebay for $8.50 and when I turned the water on it burst and broke. I spent over 2 months providing photo evidence of the product defect (I know I'm an idiot). Finally the seller admitted it's defect and offered a partial (half) refund.  The full refund was refused so I was directed to paypal which began a long process of providing once again all the evidence of the faulty product. Paypal finally agreed I was in the right but must return the product to the seller which the seller had stated they did not want. The problem is that this would take a further one hour of my time, the cost of packaging and $10 in shipping for which I would not be reimbursed. A learning lesson for me. My question is there appears to be no just refund policy or am I mistaken? And if this is the case shouldn't the buyer be informed before hand that Paypal will insist on you returning the broken, disfunctional product at your cost even if the seller does not want the product returned? 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Teslafan101
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Ebay MBG (money back guarantee) is good for 30 days,if item is not as described,you can open a case and Ebay will make the seller pay for shipping by sending you a shipping label.

Once shipped,USPS will charge Ebay and Ebay will add the postage cost to the seller's Ebay account.

But you went to Paypal,it expects you to pick up shipping for return.

Paypal has a policy of paying for your return shipping up to x dollars so many times a year,but you must apply for it when you make payment,go to Paypal for more details.  

Login to Me Too

Contributor
Contributor

Your automated answer is not the answer I was given by Paypal. Paypal said explicitely I would have to return the useless item the seller did not want returned and pay for shipping and would not be compensated. It's is very important to remember this is an $8 item that I spent proving over and over again irrefutably was completely disfunctional. Your answer is what I expected. A completely dishonest reverse of the reply I got from paypal.

Login to Me Too

Contributor
Contributor

P.S. Do you think anyone in the world could possibly care about earning your stupid, moronic badges. Please stop sending me these rediculous emails saying I've earned another badge that no one in the world cares about. Is this someway to get users to provide customer support so they don't have to pay someone to do it like facebook. No one is that stupid (I am being sarcastic because obviously they are as it works).

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@416417557266567 

Please note this is a 'user to user' help and advice forum and not paypal customer services.

We do not 'send' or have anything to do with badges, I think they are pointless as well.

As for saying about the automated answer, @Teslafan101  just posted to help you as 'another user' like I am so the least you could do was say thank you for trying to help.

Secondly..................

Paypal buyer protection can never be a 100% coverall, so in the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction .....
https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/returnshipping

That would surely have covered your return shipping costs if you had activated it???
You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.