Paypal refund - 6 months later

Fintantio83
New Community Member

Hi All, 

I sold an iphone on facebook marketplace and requested payment via paypal.

When sold the phone was used but in perfect working order. 

5.5/6 months later i have just had a request from the buyer that they want a full refund, claiming the phone has stopped working. Can they do this?

Not only might they have damaged the phone themselves, all sorts of things may have happened to it in 6 months. Not only that due to the new phone releases the value has gone significantly down. 

Do they have a foot to stand on here? 

Thanks

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Fintantio83 

a buyer has up to 180 days to open a dispute for non receipt of item OR item received but not as described.

however paypal normally take into consideration the length of time involved.

have you made sure that you have put in as much information as possible in 'messages to the buyer' about the state of the phone when sent AND the length of time its been because paypal may well read those if the buyer escalates to a claim.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Fintantio83
New Community Member

Annoyingly i have just calculated the days and it is 170 days since purchase. The buyer has already escalated it to a claim. 

The buyer is claiming 'Item not as described', it was sold as a used iphone, but in perfect working order, which it was. Photos showed the wear and tear.

There wasnt much more detail to give. As stated above it worked fine, had some cosmetic wear. 

I dont understand atfter 5 months use how they can claim a full refund. 

Thanks

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Fintantio83,

Thank you for your post! I'm sorry to hear about the frustration you're experiencing with a dispute. The 180 day time frame is industry standard for disputes. While it does become more difficult to determine the difference between a defective product and one that may have been broken through use, the time frame is one that we would have to use uniformly for the purposes of determining a buyer's protection. I regret that you've had this experience and I hope all future sales go more smoothly.

I hope this helps shed some light on things!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.