Paypal randomly taking money from wrong account

craigcurtin
Contributor
Contributor

Guys,

I have recently attached a bank account to my paypal account. IT IS NOT set as my default payment option - it is only there so i can transfer money into it as it never has any funds in it for safety.

Paypal has started to randomly take payments out of this account instead of from my preferred method of credit card. A recent glaring example - Netflix - we have had this setup for 3 years now - this month the payment came out of our bank account (and hence overdrew it), whereas every other month it has come from my credit cards.

I have had 3 other examples of this in the last 6 weeks - some pre-authorised payments, others online shopping where i have been extremely careful to ensure i have the correct option selected.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to stop it - short of removing the bank account from paypal ?

Craig

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @craigcurtin,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to the Community Forum!

In general, our system reviews every payment before it's completed and sometimes, for security reasons, a payment method may be made unavailable. Unfortunately, we would not be able to manually change the security settings, but you can try clearing your cache and cookies, deleting your browser history and waiting for 48 hours without accessing your account to let the system reset. This may help you solve the issue!

I hope this helps!

Martina 

Login to Me Too

Bubs310
Contributor
Contributor

I spent an hour on the phone to Paypal last month with the same problem - automatic payments suddenly being taken from my bank account instead of my credit card. They told me it was a 'glitch' and would be fixed. Nope - not only did they refund my payment (I asked them not to), but the same thing has happened again. This time they blamed it on an 'algorithm' and virtually hung up on me. There is no problem with my credit card - this is so wrong. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.