Paypal keeps denying my claim

jdel916
Contributor
Contributor

Started a dispute because seller gave me incorrect tracking number for a product I purchased. Sent to different address in my same zip code.  Verified by USPS (Paypal requested I have USPS send an Intranet Tracking document proving package wasn't addressed to me). 3rd time Paypal has denied my claim because they keep saying their system shows a package was delivered to someone in my zip code.  Are they not even reading the documentation they are requesting I keep sending? So frustrated!!!  What can I do to get my $4oo back????  Why isn't Paypal protecting buyers from fraudulent sellers???  Poor form, Paypal, poor form.   Did any of you work through a situation like this?

Login to Me Too
33 REPLIES 33

Slaw2
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem. It was something I bought on Facebook. The seller gave PayPal a USPS tracking number, and tracking info only showed my city, not the address. I contacted the post office and they emailed me and said they weren't supposed to disclose to me the delivery address but that it wasn't MY address. I forwarded that email to PayPal, and PayPal didn't accept that. They said they needed an "intranet form" giving the full tracking info. Went into the PO and the supervisor said it's against policy, and that info is gov't property, so he couldn't give me any form. He did use my phone to take a photo of his screen that showed the tracking number and address it went to. So I sent that photo to PayPal and they still refuse to do anything. It's only about $50 that I lost, but it's the principal of the thing and I'm furious about it, especially for OP's sake for losing over $700, and all the others on this thread with similar situations.

This is awful, PayPal should be ashamed. I may attempt to file in small claims against PayPal, and I will charge my very high hourly rate for the time I've wasted on dealing with this on top of the original amount.

Again, it's the principal. I hope none of you who are reading this let PayPal get away with protecting fraudulent sellers at the expense of their own customers.

Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Let me add to the list of victims. I was lucky to get my dispute resolved in my favor. In my case, I ordered a RC helicopter for $50.95, the scammer send tracking number and something actually arrived, a small envelop with 2 masks left in my mailbox. So I filed "received item substantially different" dispute. Scammer first ofered partial refund (thinking buyer willing to cut his losses & scammer still make money), but I was PO'ed and did fall for that, then they offered full refund provided I return item to Hong Kong, at my expense (the fact that PayPal actually goes along with that crap really amazes me). I refused that too but not on the dispute center (if you click refuse the  the case automatically closes and you'll have a hard time getting it re-opened), I started a chat here and explained to the reps (the first couple was totally useless) my situation and finally one did help me getting my case resolved (he told me to file a complaint at www.ic3.gov and upload prove of submission, along with photos of what I'd received. The next day PayPal processed the refund. Maybe I was lucky, but I believe there are reasonable reps at PayPal willing to help, just have to be persistent and be able to fight your points. Good luck to victims and I urge folks to file complaints to the ic3 site even if PayPal didn't ask you to. The authorities need to be aware of current scammers.

Login to Me Too

CScheetz1990
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you all for your responses and support. I was able to have the claim re-opened and they told me to relax, that they will handle the situation. Hard to relax when there is $700 on the line, here. I was told they needed 10 MORE DAYS for the claim. It looks like this is a common scam being used, with the fake orders and fake tracking information. These problems can be EASILY solved if they could just call and confirm the addresses with the shipping companies. I was told by UPS that this address information was confidential as well, but they were able to confirm over the phone that things did not match up. In fact, UPS personally recommended me to file this claim with PayPal. They are letting these scammers get away, giving them their money, and now when the case is finally resolved they will never see their money again from the original sellers, AND they will have to pay DOUBLE when they are forced to refund my money as well, because our cases will inevitably be justified, even if it means a court case. I will file a complaint through ic3.gov if they deny my claim again, I will allow my attorney to have this case moved to courtroom if I get no response. If this happens to anymore people, I can see a class action lawsuit happening very soon. These problems could be easily resolved as we all had proof and they refused to take it and do any investigating themselves.

Login to Me Too

Berry1916
Contributor
Contributor
I am another name in the unfortunately long list of victims and it sounds like a class action suite needs to be filled against PayPal. It is absolutely disturbing that these thieves are able to get away with such a simple scam. After multiple phone calls to both PayPal and UPS, I am still out my $300 even the UPS is very clear that my name nor my address was on the “package”
Login to Me Too

CScheetz1990
Contributor
Contributor
I still haven't been able to resolve my issue. I feel like I'm talking to a wall with them. They can't even comprehend the problem and repeat the same requests, over and over again, as if I never mentioned the fact that the addresses did not match up, the last 6 times I tried to explain it to them... They tried requesting confidential information, AFTER I showed them the email from UPS saying "No shipping service will reveal confidential information, someone must confirm the address with an agent." This is because it is Illegal! PayPal lied me, requesting types of proof that are IMPOSSIBLE to obtain, or obtain legally. They are acting like criminals themselves. I reported them to IC3.gov. This is pure negligence on behalf of PayPal. They are giving our money away to thieves. If they had held the money and confirmed our addresses with UPS or the shippers, they would have saved themselves and US, a lot of trouble and money. Unfortunately for them, we won't just walk away and let them unjustly keep 100s of dollars of our money. If need be, I will refuse to pay my PayPal Credit Cards and/or any financing I do through them, until the issue is resolved. THIS ABSOLUTE NEGLIGENCE and disregard for their customer guarentee. PayPal's handling of the situation is just as grimey and shady as the criminals themselves. If I don't get my refund, I will sue... And you can be sure, if I have to go through all this trouble because they refuse the proof and do no investigation for themselves, I WILL SUE, and I will sue for MORE than just my refund. Tell your attorney's about this problem, I am sure there are many other people with this issue, and we are all ready to sue for what we deserve. This could very well be a class action lawsuit.
Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

There has been at least one member who was about, or has initiated a class action law suit. You may have to search a bit to find the post though. 

Login to Me Too

Slaw2
Contributor
Contributor
I am still fighting PayPal over this. You’ll get the same canned response demanding the same information that the post office can’t legally give you, BTW. Sounds like other shippers don’t give out that information either, and that sometimes we just get lucky that a shipper employee will help. I kept telling PayPal this and they said “well other people got this information”. I threatened to take this to court and I assured them I would be billing them for my time spent on this. They are reopening my claim but I’ll believe it when I see it. I think we should definitely try to get a class action going on this because this is completely unacceptable.
Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hey people who have been victimized. Here's a link to suggest a TV station to do a story on the scam and PP's complicity.

https://ktla.com/about-ktla/contact-us/submit-news-tips-and-story-ideas/

It's KTLA in Los Angeles. Google the link if PP deletes it.

Login to Me Too

Berry1916
Contributor
Contributor
I finally went to my bank, and fortunately with in a day my funds were back in my account. PayPal’s policy is absurd and makes it easy for the scammers to pull this off. I would still be willing to share my story, because I hope that this Does not continue to happen to anyone else.
Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Similarly, I have nothing but good experiences with my credit card company. I would stop using PP even for trusted merchants, I would recommend everyone to use start using credit cards, PP has no advantage over them. I had an issue some months back and my CC company quickly resolved it. I can't say which card I have that had a real person to help me when I had an issue and credited me the funds first and worked the case on my behalf behind the scenes, but what's in your wallet? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.