Paypal is supporting chinese scammers

efoandokro
Contributor
Contributor
I made a purchase in May and when my wigs arrived it became clear i bought lace human hair wigs and got some novelty wigs Instead of formal wigs i was sent some type of thing for haloween Seller started trying to intimidate me that I won’t get my money unless i end the dispute and going up and down and offering token sums of refund I filed a dispute Paypal said i have to pack this unwearable junk and send it back I paid 1/5 of what i bought for to post it back Actually paid for the postage with paypal Sent up all the documents Have a proof of postage receipt Waited nearly 4 months since I returned them Paypal still won’t give me back my money and today they said they don’t have proof of postage
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@efoandokro 

If you paid with a credit card, dispute via card issuer. This will close your PayPal dispute indefinitely and you must resolve it through your card issuer exclusively.

Keep in mind that PayPal wants 'proof of delivery' of your return, not a postage 'receipt' in Significantly Not as Described cases so you would have had to send the return back with a tracking number.

Be careful of who you buy from. Do research on the store/domain name before buying. And if you shopped around long enough you can sort tell what sites are scams and what are not. Or just stick to reputable merchants you know or buy direct from brand.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

efoandokro
Contributor
Contributor
Firstly I paid using paypal The funds were taken as a direct debit not via my card and honestly many of us don’t notice the funding source at point of payment because we trust paypal Secondly The proof of postage slip shows the tracking number clearly Finally Unfortunately paypal cannot supersede or alter consumer law They have not provided any confirmation that the seller did not get the item Either way if paypal is sure the seller has not received the item My suspicion is the fraudsters have long moved on from that address and the item remained undeliverable or it may even be a fake address they got me to post to That will explain why the tracking number returns “unable to track” I do have a logical alternative I will follow Royal Mail’s lost item route What you need to keep in mind is that as consumers and as a 3rd party payment processor Agreeing to arbitrate difficulties with purchases requires above board approaches and a fairly sound process The process paypal is using is unsound and it empowers dud sellers which is why in my case the seller sent email threats and told me I won’t get my money back They know the paypal system well and know if they send you a 1tonne rock instead of an expensive watch for example that you will struggle to pay to coordinate logistics to ship it back so most people write it off as a loss And on top of that Paypal refuses to refund return postage to business accounts too It is wrong and criminal to butress what is wrong If paypal was looking at this objectively then it would take a few minutes to establish that this ‘cartel’ have established a means of robbing others using quick set up and very legitimate looking websites which i later found are supported by shopify They then target consumers using Facebook and Instagram adverts which dominate timelines. Once they acquire a volume of sales they do ship products But what they ship is pretty much not what was purchased For example I bought a straight human hair lace wig and received a synthetic novelty wig I have encountered others on the now static facebook page for this company who bought a wig and got a parcel containing folded plastic or a take away bowl etc And many were stumped when asked to return the rubbish posted to them Furthermore, if this is clearly observable Paypal should put a hold on such a company and report the incident to the police Online fraud is a crime and police have links with other countries to shut people like this down Long and short I have used paypal as a business now for over 15 years I will now no longer use paypal where alternatives exist To put this scam thing in perspective A friend who has hair loss issues made a purchase just like I did and got a horrible unwearable wig When she opened the package She was in tears for days In fact every time it’s discussed She becomes overwhelmed She had used saved up money too Please i beg you don’t come here and justify support of criminal activity by quoting “policy” Policy is not law NB: i did do my research When people plan to steal They usually work twice as hard to convince And in all my years of buying online 25 yrs this is the 2nd time i have had such an experience ( i abhor victim blaming, this is a civilised society we are in)
Login to Me Too

efoandokro
Contributor
Contributor
I came back to revive this thread because a rather interesting development occured The package I sent to the seller 6 months ago was returned to my address yesterday <\br> Upon inspection it had a stamp from Chinese customs The stamp showed the package had been rejected I can see one person in the community threw shade and said I need to show tracked proof of delivery and the journey this package has had shows why my sent package would never have shown as delivered It could not be delivered The seller would have been told they had a package They would have been told who the sender is And they either rejected it at the doorstep or as is common in a lot of countries die to COVID they got a notice they had a package to collect from the postal depot and simply refused to go get it The Chinese authorities graciously held that package for collection by the seller for their grace period which I guess must be about 3-4 months (I’m guesstimating) then they returned the parcel to sender Thus the package would never have shown delivered because the seller was disingenuous to begin with and they knew the goods were worthless AND they knew if they don’t accept or collect it, it will never show as delivered and I will never get my money back This demonstrates the sellers of these bogus products know that to hoodwink Paypal all they need to do for example is advertise a car then wrap a worthless rock picked from the roadside, wrap it and send it for a nominal sum and get proof it was delivered Once a buyer gets said rock and begins to ratify the cost of doing the paypal process of Return and pay postage Some buyers give up because they lose money if they have to pay to send it back Those that do not give up and do send the rock will wait eternally The seller knows the window for Paypal disputes and will simply reject any parcel from the buyer inside that window Unfortunately for this seller The Chinese authorities babied the parcel and sent it back with stamps to clarify it reached its destination but nobody wanted it I will keep this thread updated as I have now put my new evidence to paypal So far i have had three replies First said they cannot recognise the old case no Second said I should have made me claim 180 days from purchase Third one said Something floral about if my issue was not resolved i can reply to their customer service I replied to all three responses to restate the old case details, assert a standard response was underhand and resent an explanation of events with what I want as a resolution My money including return postage costs I am now waiting
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.