Paypal is actively *helping* someone to scam me.

AgentOrange96
Contributor
Contributor

Last night I received a money request out of the blue for 7 Euros with the note:

"hi,Dear Users,You have a parcel from Germany also requires paypal to pay 7 EUR for postage. So that we can deliver to you in time,Thank you for your cooperation,Regards"

I have absolutely no clue who this person is, and I have had no interactions with anyone from Germany recently. I am from the United States. This is very clearly a scam. I attempted to report this. First off, reaching an actual human is near impossible on this platform whether it be by phone, text chat or even email. PayPal seems to go out of its way to make sure you never actually get support. I find this extremely disturbing.

Once PayPal finally let me send them a proper message, I first got an automated response telling me to try some irrelevant stuff, and that I would have to reply to them to get a message. I replied with the exact same message:

"Hello,
I received a Payment request with the following message: This is very clearly a scammer trying to get me to give them 7 Euros. I do not know this person nor have I made any payments to Germany, nor am I expecting anything from Germany. This user has the email <user's email=""> according to PayPal, and they are 100% a scammer. Obviously I am not going to send this money, but I think it is important to report their activity. Thank you very much!
-<My name>"

Paypal responded with the following:
"</user's></user's>
Dear<My name>,

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

If you've noticed a transaction or activity you don't recognize, it may have been initiated by a family member, or it may be a part of a pre-approved payment you've authorized.

Before reporting the activity or transaction, contact family members who may have initiated the activity and ask them about it. View the pre-approved payments on your PayPal account to make sure the transaction isn't part of payments you've authorized.

If the transaction or activity wasn't initiated by a family member, and wasn't set as part of pre approved payments you authorized, let us know about it as soon as possible.

Here's how to report an unauthorized transaction:

..."

I made it incredibly clear that this is not a payment I authorized and that this is not anyone I've ever had any interaction with, and they're telling me that this could be a family member asking for money. Which, incidentally, is another incredibly common scam. PayPal is outright helping this scammer to try and trick me into sending them money. That is absolutely appalling, and this company needs to really take some accountability here. 

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AgentOrange96 

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.

OR
have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

AgentOrange96
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thank you for your advice! I had tried to contact them via phone, but after I finally managed to get into a queue for a human, not a trivial task, it was a really long wait, and I figured I was better of trying to send an email.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AgentOrange96 

PayPal is not actively helping someone scam you. Check if the email was spam which is what I think is likely by checking the email header/raw text for random email address/email path server. PayPal can't stop someone from creating spoof emails.

Someone would have to open a PayPal account and then send a money request for it to be official anyway.

And PayPal don't address you by "Dear User". They at least use your full name. I never use money requests before but If you log on and see no money request for you to pay there it is spam.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

AgentOrange96
Contributor
Contributor

This email came from PayPal, and the payment request shows up in my PayPal account. I contacted PayPal support through this site and they basically told me it's probably family. It is not a spoofed email. Thanks

Login to Me Too

neofactor
Contributor
Contributor

It IS from PayPAl... logging in shows the pending request.

It is not hard to "verify" a paypay account...  Just report them as a scam to Paypal.

Login to Me Too

Glows
New Community Member
I have received the same request and it is included on my statement. I have cancelled it and sent an email to paypal. Will keep you posted. As there are a few of us with thus same ussue, this definitely sounds like a scam.
Login to Me Too

MpVpRb
New Community Member

I got the same one...

hi,Dear Users,You have a parcel from Germany also requires paypal to pay 7 EUR for postage. So that we can deliver to you in time,Thank you for your cooperation,Regards

I have no friends or family in Germany and have not ordered anything from Germany other than software which had no shipping

Login to Me Too

Rannojhe
New Community Member

I've also recevied the same massege 

hi,Dear Users,You have a parcel from Germany also requires paypal to pay 7 EUR for postage.

So that we can deliver to you in time,

Thank you for your cooperation,

Regards"
from someone called Barber Millie

Login to Me Too

BrooklynRaven44
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, I just received the same email.  When I logged into my Paypal account, the 'pending' transaction is there.  You need to cancel it. 

"hi,Dear Users,You have a parcel from Germany also requires paypal to pay 7 EUR for postage. So that we can deliver to you in time,Thank you for your cooperation,Regards"

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.