Paypal expecting the buyer to pay return postage

Sid224
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I stupidly bought tools from a seller believing in good faith that the product was as described in the advert, the product arrived many weeks later from china (this was not made clear in the advert) The product that arrived is totally different to the specific set of tools i ordered, I opened a case after weeks of trying to sort with the seller. Paypal have eventually decided that to get a reund i have to send back the incorrect product in order to get a full refund. I have no problem with this but how can paypal decide it is at my cost when it is the seller who has sent out the incorrect product. Should the return cost of postage which will be more than the cost of the item (tools from France to China) not be paid by the incompetnt seller?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sid224 

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544
You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Sid224
Contributor
Contributor

So the seller doesn't make clear where he's at, then sends out items that are nothing like those advertised, i've already paid delivery charges on the item incoming. The item sent is sub standard crap that can be bought locally for a quarter of the price i paid for the desired item which didn't arrive, and Paypal policy is i've got to pay to return the heavy package from France to China.  Sounds like paypal need to look at their policies. Will find another way of sending money i think as this stinks. Paypal want your money but don't want to help when things are not correct. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sid224 

Personally i never buy from anyone until i check out the website and see if they have a company address AND a returns address on their website.

Paypal are doing EXACTLY what they say they will do in their buyer protection policy which it would have been a good idea to have read first.

If you bought an item from your own country then you could take private legal action against the seller to pay for the return goods (although most business would pay that automatically) but if you choose to buy tat from China then sadly you lose out on that one.

If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then consider a chargeback?

Chinese Web Sites or on Facebook easy to spot so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.