Paypal dispute disappeared, nothing happened

ghghgh
Contributor
Contributor

So I got scammed recently. I was 70-80% sure the guy was a scammer but I knew I would be safe paying with goods and services, right? So the guy scams me, never replies to anything ever again. I open the dispute. Time passes, I escalate to paypal.

It stays there ''under review'' for a few hours, then the case completely disappears. I don't see it under issues or anything. No emails, nothing. What happened there?

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ghghgh

Depends on type of transaction etc as to whether you had buyer protection, you haven't given enough details really for us to advise.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ghghgh
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I paid with the goods and services option. I thought that was enough to warrant buyer protection. Also, I sent them his stealth paypal email (his first and last names were reversed) to which he allegedly could not receive funds because it is limited. Probably due to scams. 

Login to Me Too

ghghgh
Contributor
Contributor

Alright now this guy has been exposed PUBLICLY by another person. Seems he made many scams. Why is paypal not taking action? Why has my case disappeared?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ghghgh

Paying with goods / services does not neccessarily give you 100% buyer protection.

There are many other criteria and that is why you should read up on buyer protection so you can risk assess your transactions.

As I have already said you haven't given enough info ie type of transaction etc etc for us to advise.

So suggest you contact customer services.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ghghgh
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

But he has another stealth paypal account and other people are complaining about me. They didn't even respond, didn't ask anything, absolutely nothing.

It was a digital good. Some kind of script for a website. So not a physical good. I was pretty sure he was a scammer when he demanded half the money upfront and he couldn't have waited until he showed some proof of work.

I was SURE I would get refunded. Don't know how this happened. I even pointed out his stealth paypal account.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ghghgh

I had a feeling it was a virtual / digital transaction and that is why I asked for 'type of transaction' .

Unfortunately you may not be covered for digital goods (dependent on what country you are in) and also even if you were covered they don't cover 'received but not as described' so if he sent you 'something' then your claim would be lost  Smiley Sad

However if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and do a chargeback.

If you are buying 'virtual / digital' goods then in my opinion that should always be done as it gives you a second layer of protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ghghgh
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

He didn't send me anything. He took the money and disappeared. I can't believe I'm not covered for that. Also, what difference does it make? You can't prove that a physical item didn't arrive in the same way how you can't prove that a digital service hasn't been done. What's the difference? Why is one covered and the other one isn't?

Furthermore, why didn't paypal at least say something? Why did they just straight up tell me to **bleep** off?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ghghgh

In the event of an item not received dispute for 'physical goods' the seller has to provide a tracking number that proves delivery of the item to the Paypal registered address of the buyer.

With digital transactions the seller has to normally provide email or download proof the item was received, HOWEVER there is other criteria that Paypal take into account for those types of transactions and its at Paypal discretion whether you get refunded or not.

Go with your c.c. if you used one is my advice.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ghghgh
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

But for example, trading paypal from crypto doesn't work entirely because of chargebacks. Cryptos are a digital item as well and not too different from my case. No one wants to trade that because they know they will get a chargeback. Scammers avoid paypal because apparently it's heavily biased towards buyers. But still, they completely told me off.

I don't even care that much about $20, but the principle bothers me. Paypal don't care basically and the scammer got away with it. Several people got scammed by him at the very least. Evil wins.

I'm not sure that I want to bother my credit card company for $20 (probably even less because I think I partly paid via paypal wallet). I'll just try to bother paypal some more.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.