Paypal denied my unauthorised transaction claim for a scam transaction

beebear77
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal denied my claim when I lodged a unauthorised transaction claim - there's a transaction on my account that when i googled the name it came up as a scam - I have no idea what the "item" is that I supposedly bought and I have nothing to find out - no emails saying I purchased anything. There's a shipping number but the link doesn't work. It was back on 3rd September so I don't know what this "item" is that I supposedly bought nor do I have it. But I now can't open any more claims on this transaction its absolute crap so much for Paypals so called "buyer protection"!!

Just got an email back from the "help desk" it wasn't even read by a person I got a robot reply. Load of bull.

Login to Me Too
85 REPLIES 85

pishta
Contributor
Contributor

I got hit yesterday with a 500 gift card purchase. 293 out of paypal and -200 from my linked bank account! Ebay transaction posted 6:00 PM thursday, it was already at the processing station by 0745 AM friday and on my doorstep by 3pm friday. Told the seller I need to return it, guy said he checked the balance and it was ZERO now so someone used it. How, It was in the posession of the mail system the whole time! AND he was the only person to know the number on the card as its still sealed. Ebay told me the transaction looked out of my buying pattern and to open a dispute with paypal. Paypal denied me saying the transaction was not unauthorized, Ebay says I can't open a dispute for a fraudulant zero balance card because I already opened a dispute with paypal, as ebay told me to do. How would someone buy a card with my hacked account info and already know the number on the card to use it online? can I appeal this "denied" autoresponse? 

Login to Me Too

badsheba
I just submitted a claim for fraudulent charges, and instantly got a reply stating the charges were valid because it was an automatic payment. Prior to me submitting the claim, I knew immediately it was shady activity on my account because I got an alert for 3 foreign currency charges, for the same exact amount, back to back for the same date. All charges had Goo9on them, but no details like any other transaction that's appeared from Google. If you have Google Pay setup, then duh, of course I have the PayPal app setup to easily allow me to make purchase with Google Pay using PayPal as my account info vs a bank or credit card #. But there was no auto billed transaction, no product, no details or anything in the receipt. Google Pay had no history of the transactions. So it's definitely fraud. Even if it was auto billed, common sense says it's not going to charge me 3 times in a row in one day. The last time this happened, I was able to talk to a live representative and get the issue resolved quickly. This time, I've gone through the ringer with an IVR system and these full of crap emails. I want my money back. And at this point, I'm fed up with PayPal. I don't feel like my information is protected nor that they give a damn about their account holders anymore. PayPal, your promises to protect our information and money is a joke.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi badsheba, 

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum and welcome as a new member!

If you have a Billing Agreement set up on your PayPal account this will authorize Google Pay to use your PayPal account automatically when payments are made. For this reason, there would no evidence of unauthorized activity on your PayPal account to grant your claim. If Google Pay have reviewed your account and determined you did not make these payments yourself or they have information confirming these transactions were paid for purchases on another device, they will be able to issue a refund to you. 

- Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Febrith
Contributor
Contributor

This has also happened to me - an unauthorised payment of $1200 taken from my account to some American company (I'm in England so that should tip them off straightaway you'd think).  I am altered to it by text FROM Paypal - so clearly something has triggered their security.  I immediately lodge a complaint that the transaction is unauthorised and I'm staggered that they quickly came back and said my claim is denied!  I ask them to appeal it and am waiting on a resolution as I type.  I'm so disgusted with this - after a long chat with their customer service people I've had no reassurance at all - I'm having a quiet freak out and they're "looking at it again" and will get back to me.  I have a Youtube channel that normally does gaming videos but I think my next one will be a Paypal video! 

Login to Me Too

D22iway
Contributor
Contributor
I made a video about my experience too. I should upload it soon
Login to Me Too

Harvey24
Contributor
Contributor

My case was very similar to beebear77, I was charged for an unauthorised transaction, I have no idea what the item was or where it was delivered to,it looks like it was some sort of cd key, therefore I assume it was meant to have been emailed.

I explained this to Paypal.

My claim was denied with no explanation other than there was no unauthorised transaction!!!

Is it that easy to get scammed through Paypal accounts?

My biggest concern is that this is a very serious breach of security which was not taken seriously by Paypal.

i have tried contacting them to appeal, but it appears that closed means closed!

if there is another way of getting my money back please let me know, (not sure about chargeback, the card used was changed from my primary card which was a credit card, to my cashline which is not.

Not very impressed with Paypal, doubt very much I will ever use them again!

Login to Me Too

beebear77
Contributor
Contributor
I'm blown away by how many people have responded to this thread (which PayPal marked as solved which I did not consent to) and disappointed by the dot of feeble replies by PayPal staff either saying to contact them (so they can pretty much deny us again) or trying to put the responsibility on other companies. I still have my PayPal account but I don't leave any bank or card details on my account so I can't be scammed! I don't use PayPal unless I have to now and once the payments made I remove the details immediately.
Login to Me Too

Razorbeam
Contributor
Contributor

@beebear77   I'm going through the exact same thing right now. I lost a few mornings dealing with Paypal, and have had to had my Closed Case REOPENED again, and with another PP-I Case I.D.  it is getting ridiculous at this point but I REFUSE to pay for the scammed charges.  My balance is at negative because of what happened, and I also informed the merchant who the funds went to - this thief used my account to purchase airline tickets.  A Fraud Report is filed and an investigation is pending.

Please continue to air grievance on this until this is resolved - do not letting up because this could affect my credit.

Login to Me Too

Shabzzz1
Contributor
Contributor

so did you ever get your money back? Did you try using chargeback?

Login to Me Too

Harvey24
Contributor
Contributor

Hi beebear77, I hope you managed to get fixed out and got some sort of reasonable resolution.....although I doubt very much that`s the case!

I`m on the brink of giving up any hope of common sense prevailing with my case. Just had a conversation with my bank who have stated that unfortunately they cannot pursue any fraudulent claim on my behalf with Paypal, not sure what point there is in my bank having a fraud department.

It turns out that the money taken from my account by cdkeys was through a direct debit set up with Paypal.

I can categorically state that I have never setup a direct debit with Paypal......surely this is easy to substantiate!!!

No idea why Paypal believe cdkeys over me, they just seemed to want to give me the "case closed" reply asap.

No evidence has been supplied by Paypal or cdkeys to prove any transaction was ever made, or what the item was.......where did it even go!

Doesn't matter how many times I put these questions to cdkeys and Paypal, nothing has been answered.

What has happened is that I have been **bleep** royally by both companies.

Absolutely atrocious that this can  happen so easily. Take my advice people, don`t utilise the services of Paypal!  if you choose to remain a customer, do so at your own risk, I wager it is only a matter of time before you suffer the same fate as me and the many other similar cases I found when googling cdkeys/unauthorised Paypal transaction. You don`t even have to google it, just check it out here within the Paypal community.

Nothing more to say, apart from shame on you Paypal, one thing is for sure you will never get the chance to do this again. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.