Paypal denied my case where someone accepted an unintended payment. What are my options?

X2YandZ
Contributor
Contributor
On May 21st, I was engaging in a transaction for a Nintendo Switch, and making the payment to the seller. However, when choosing the person to make the payment to, I entered in the phone number of the person, who apparently did not link their account to their number, but to their email. As soon as the transfer happened, the person accepted the payment, and wouldn't respond to any emails or requests for the money back. I filed a case under the category "Billing Dispute", thinking that category best suited my situation. I was denied after my first attempt, then made an appeal only to be denied again. The exact quote of their reasoning was, "your billing dispute doesn't match our qualification for a billing dispute." This is beyond infuriating because it feels like PayPal cares more about the classification of the claim, than the fact that I lost several hundred dollars in what I selected to be a business transaction. What are my options for getting this money back? I'm almost certain the original seller was a scammer, and they may be the one responsible.
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@X2YandZ 

Why would you open a dispute for a billing dispute when you have not been billed for anything by paypal?

Why did you not just select 'item not received'??

OR did you use the family/friends option to pay so that the item not received dispute was not available?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

X2YandZ
Contributor
Contributor
I used the business option, and in hindsight, that option would have beem better, but I didn't report it as such because my first report was the day after the incident, and I figured it would get rejected under that circumstance. Now look how that turned out...
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@X2YandZ 

You are only allowed 1 dispute per transaction so the only way you can get a second dispute opened is to contact Paypal (when and if you can) and see if they will open a second dispute for you.
They may decline citing policies but if you say you made a mistake then they might open a second dispute for you.

If not then if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then consider contacting your card issuer and see if they will help you with a chargeback?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.