Paypal denied claim for a Depop scam transaction

lordboop
New Community Member

I purchased a $100+ item on Depop the other day. I was given a fake tracking number (it says it was delivered in less than a day). Nothing arrived at my house! The seller then deleted the listings along with his account. I immediately knew to file a claim with Paypal. I was told to first contact the seller, so I sent a message and provided screenshots of all my messages and him deleting his account. Later, I received an email saying that the seller replied, but when I clicked the link, it told me I could no longer view it? I also received an email telling me "[person] has escalated this problem to a claim. Based on the information we have, we’ll have to deny your case."

Is there anything else I can do?? I was SCAMMED and I don't see how Paypal could side with him. Please help!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @lordboop,

I'm sorry to hear that the case was closed. Did the transaction list the item as digital/intangible? If the transaction did not specify a mailing address, it was likely set up as a digital item. If the seller delivered it electronically and showed that it was sent to you, that would cause the case to be found in the seller's favor. 

If you review the details of the transaction and it says that the item was supposed to be delivered to your mailing address, please contact customer service to request an appeal of the case decision.

To contact customer service, please click Contact at the bottom of the PayPal website for available options, or reach out by PM on Facebook or DM on Twitter.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

bnbailey2662
New Community Member

THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!!!! What do we do? I feel like I have been robbed. 

Login to Me Too

Chad183
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing will happen to me I was given a fake tracking number and now it is awaiting Paypal I gave them proof of depop with screenshots and even their scamming script. Also I bought a macbook from this person but I soon realized too late it was a scam and when I checked the fake tracking it says 0.60lbs which if it was a macbook would be way more in weight I hope Paypal see this fraud and rules in my favor I have such much proof if Paypal sides with them I will be done with using Paypal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.