Paypal closed my case against seller in their favour

eyeswideopen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I Bought a drone after watching a video ad that came up as I was watching youtube. This advertised the drone as high tech with a 3-axial gimbal camera which are expensive this was a new product I only bought one as a gift for my son and the fact that the advert came with a paypal option saying use Paypal and buy risk free.(thats a joke). When it arrived it was a cheap Chinese made drone with a fixed camera that retails at twenty five pounds online in the UK. I paid eighty pounds. I complained but the company just ignored me, I got more information about the product I was meant to get from the original advert and found several TrustPilot reviews where the same company had over 82% negative reviews about the same problem I had and a few dodgy positive reviews written in bad English. I was told that paypal found in favour for the seller because the drone I received was similar to what was advertised.

As about as similar as Concord in aircraft terms but they sent me the equivalent of a Cesna light aircraft  well thats the best analogy I can come up with.

I have repeatedly asked the company for a refund and where to send the thing back too but they just say sorry and do not give any details of a refund or where to send it back too.   Paypal advertise that I can make purchases risk free yet here I am having been suckered by a lot of scam and false advertising of a product and the product is so off the mark to the one advertised even Theresa May PM retired could have seen the difference and thats saying something. So far from buying risk free I have a rubbish product not as advertised and no way of getting a refund or even an address of where to return it no doubt somewhere in China and Paypal somehow through stupidity or commercial savvy finding in favour of the seller to avoid returning any money to me . So what do I do now folks?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@eyeswideopen 

Paypal is never risk free and it does not say so, it gives you 'some' buyer protection and the rest is up to you to risk assess your transactions.

Buying from You Tube or Social Media normally means you are dealing with tat from Chinese/Asian companies.

I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot barge pole.

Also paypals item not received policy states the item needs to be 'significantly' other than as described, you bought a drone and received a drone so basically paypal found for the seller this time.

If they had found in your favour then the cost to return the item trackable back to China would have probably been more than the item was worth.

IF you funded your paypal payment via a credit card (a must in my opinion) then you could contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you? Good luck.

Good luck.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

eyeswideopen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Kernowlass

Thanks for your reply and suggestion regarding a charge back via the credit card used, that is an option if (optimist) Paypal leave me hanging. The link to Paypal on the sellers website clearly looks like a Paypal button and when pressed it takes you to Paypal it also says on it Buy Now Risk-Free.IMG_1328.JPG

Photo hopefully attached.  Now the cynical might say that this Paypal button is not a Paypal button but one made by the scamming Chinese company, I mentioned this in several conversations with Paypal support but they never questioned the Risk free bit.  My problem now is I don't want to be scammed by the awful Chinese company. I have repeatedly asked for a return adress so that I could send the offending item back and get a refund, they have answered my request several times apologising but never giving an return path or offer a refund despite daily request to do so.  Having checked the WWW I found several places and example where this company had done the same to others as they had done to me both in the UK and in the USA going back several months. Paypal are still allowing the company to trade with the Paypal sign and facility both here and in the US despite the number of complaints and refunds issued by Paypal.  I checked on Trust Pilot Uk and the Drone sellers have an overwhelming negative feedback. I got hooked into their video advert which said the drone was made by a US team and being sent direct to me from the US and gave a Paypal option to pay or I would not have touched it. Lesson learned here is that you can no longer Buy using Paypal and expect the kind of service we used to get from Paypal years ago, commercial considerations are going flat out to promote the service albeit the sad fact is that Paypal are not the service they were and it is time to find an alternative. Check out Trust Pilot Uk for the Paypal reviews it shows over 50% negative views. The drone a Blade 720 has over 82% negative views. My bad for not checking all this before I purchased the drone as a gift I must be getting old but not cynical enough.  Any suggestions for an alternative to Paypal greatly received.

On the similarity part of Kernowlass reply and Paypals by the way  You cannot advertise a product as being Concorde then send out a light aircraft yes they are similar they are both aircraft but the light aircraft does not have the technology you thought you were getting because it advertised that way.

IMG_0644.jpegIMG_8067.jpeg

Similar? Well you choose😂

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@eyeswideopen 

I don't think its a case of the 'item' looking similar its 'who' you purchase from.

As I said i would not buy from you tube or social media as sellers are not vetted from the site and you are basically buying from a stranger often in China = Chinese tat.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

eyeswideopen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Kernowlass

I was referring to the item and Paypal outcome that the item received had "similarity"

If its a case of who you purchase from then I do not understand!  where does similarity come into that?

Yes I made a mistake an error in judgement I was fooled by a scam. I get that and thanks for pointing out that twice😎

I won't be the first or last and I am more aware now.

The point being that I can make a claim if;

The item has been received but is not as described.
The product is significantly not as described in my order.

It had very little similarity hence my Concord and light aircraft analogy, a drone is not always a drone sometimes it a Chinese lemon dressed up in drag😀

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.