Paypal closed case in favour of fraudulent seller (Howig)

AndreaB123
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased a wig in good faith from a site I believed to be UK based. Fast forward to receiving the item - it was hideous and nothing like advertised. I opened a dispute added images and other info I had gathered online. It transpired that hundreds of ill people have been scammed. I even telephoned PayPal only to have the operative hang up the phone. I have autism and struggle greatly with verbal communication. I also have severe social anxiety so when told to return the wig I had to arrange for someone else to do this. When I attempted to add the tracking number to the case an error code kept happening. I attempted to add number multiple time then added it to the message section all within the timeframe. I received an automated response next day stating case had been closed in favour of seller. I contacted Paypal again my message and telephone. I was told over phone that tracking no would be added. Then I receive another email stating case closed in sellers favour? I am now 83.50 out of pocket. Any advice on what to do next would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AndreaB123 

If you funded that paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will chargeback for you.

Little tip to check out websites.

Avoid if they have no contact information apart from a webmail address.

Avoid if they post no address on the site for location or for returns to be sent to.

Scammers may ship from your own country from various depots but insist the item be sent back to their main offices somewhere like China knowing the cost to return is sometimes more than the item is worth...buyer beware.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AndreaB123 

If you funded that paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will chargeback for you.

Little tip to check out websites.

Avoid if they have no contact information apart from a webmail address.

Avoid if they post no address on the site for location or for returns to be sent to.

Scammers may ship from your own country from various depots but insist the item be sent back to their main offices somewhere like China knowing the cost to return is sometimes more than the item is worth...buyer beware.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

AndreaB123
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for taking the time to give me some much valued advice. I have now taken the issue up with my bank. I used a debit card and the bank have opened a dispute against the company. I won't make the same error twice and will look more closely at companies I've never purchased from before. Thanks again!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.