Paypal charged me twice and refuses to refund my money for one of the transactions

sublimel
Contributor
Contributor

I placed ONE order on a website and I payed through paypal. That one order went through fine. A few days later, I decide to check my paypal activity and noticed I was charged TWICE (the exact same amounts) just a few minutes apart from each other. I checked my email and saw that I got two separate emails from paypal notifying me that two transactions went through. However, I only got ONE email from the website where I placed my order because only ONE order was placed. I don't get why paypal has charged me twice. I checked my bank account and again, I was indeed charged twice.

I filed a dispute for one of the charges, and I was told I authorized it... So I decided to dispute the second charge. I got the same response that I authorized that payment too. I only authorized one. How can I get my money back? I've tried contacting the customer service on the website on which I placed my order but I have yet to receive a response from them.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @sublimel,

I'm sorry to hear about the duplicate charge. I'll be happy to help.

Duplicate charges typically occur if the refresh button is clicked at an inopportune time during the payment process, or some kind of glitch happens in your connection.

It sounds like the dispute type that was selected was for an unauthorized payment. The type of dispute that should have been opened is a billing dispute, since there was a duplicate charge that stemmed from a purchase that you did actually authorize.

If you are unable to open a new dispute for a billing issue in the Resolution Center because you already opened the other type of claim, you can contact customer support and ask them to manually open a billing dispute for you since the wrong claim type was mistakenly selected. You can reach customer support by Facebook, Twitter, or phone or email.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @sublimel,

I'm sorry to hear about the duplicate charge. I'll be happy to help.

Duplicate charges typically occur if the refresh button is clicked at an inopportune time during the payment process, or some kind of glitch happens in your connection.

It sounds like the dispute type that was selected was for an unauthorized payment. The type of dispute that should have been opened is a billing dispute, since there was a duplicate charge that stemmed from a purchase that you did actually authorize.

If you are unable to open a new dispute for a billing issue in the Resolution Center because you already opened the other type of claim, you can contact customer support and ask them to manually open a billing dispute for you since the wrong claim type was mistakenly selected. You can reach customer support by Facebook, Twitter, or phone or email.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.