Paypal asking for ID which I don't have.

JordanNS
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys!

I am having an issue that is seriously about to make me never use paypal again. I have been asked to prove my address with paypal and I am having a huge issue. I have been asked for Government ID and a Utility bill. I have sent in a Utility Bill but I live with my parents so it is under my mothers name. They won't accept the Utility bill and are asking for Government ID. Government ID is giving me the option of either sending them my Passport (Which I do not have as I have never left the country) and/or my Drivers Licence (Which I also do not have because I do not drive). I becoming quite irritated as I have emailed them and all I got back is, "Please send us your Passport or Drivers Licence for Government ID". Please tell me what to do.

Regards, Jordan.

Login to Me Too
41 REPLIES 41

Charlie25188

They don't give a **bleep**. I've tried shutting down my accouint but all I get is threat from them haha. They have us all by the balls, they can **bleep** us over when they want.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Anna

Hi JordanNS,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Community Forum!

I’m sorry to hear about the issue and the experience you had.

It sounds like your account has been subjected to a standard regulatory review.

As a banking institution we need to make sure you are the owner of the card this is why we need to ask you to provide certain documents. This is a standard process and every banking institution needs to follow these regulations, however most banks would ask for the documents in advance before opening an account for you.

Please don’t worry, if you do not have any utility bill and either a Passport or a Driver’s License you can provide a Birth Certificate along with another government issued document e.g. from Revenue or Social Welfare Office. As a Proof of Address you can provide a recent bank/card statement.

Regrettably we can’t see your account details here. I would recommend you contacting us via Social Media (24/7). You can contact us directly on Twitter @AskPayPal or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK.

Hope this will be resolved for you soon.

Anna

Login to Me Too

Kojo777
Contributor
Contributor
So, what if I gave my Social security and birth certificate would that work?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Anna

Hi hexequiop42,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Community Forum!

I’m sorry to hear about the issue. I’m very sorry you had a bad experience. There is definitely something we can do to help you resolve the issue. As a banking institution we need to make sure you are the owner of the card this is why we need to ask you to provide certain documents. This is a standard process and every banking institution needs to follow these regulations, however most banks would ask for the documents in advance before opening an account for you.

Regrettably we can’t see your account details here. I would recommend you contacting us via Social Media (24/7). You can contact us directly on Twitter @AskPayPal or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK.

Hope this will be resolved for you soon.

Anna

Login to Me Too

Carljohn81
Contributor
Contributor
That's not true at all u don't need photo I'd to open an account all u need is a letter of address and national insurance num
Login to Me Too

Paige4
Contributor
Contributor

You're right. I have a bank account, mortgage, credit cards etc and have never been asked for photo ID before. I have had a health problem which 

means I don't have a driving license or passport. My husband does, but I opened the paypal account in my name, and after 17 years my account has been 

limited, and I can't pay for anything with my account, not even postage for ebay items sold?

I've spoken to paypal on twitter and facebook, they tell me a birth certificate is fine, but there's no option for that, it says photo ID only?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Donna

Hi Paige4,

Thank you for your post.

We will accept a copy of your birth certificate as proof of Identity, as long as it is accompanied by and official letter like a bank account or credit card statement.

You can upload it using this link.

-Donna

Login to Me Too

Sophie1983

Hi, 

I am having the same issue. PayPal is rejecting my copy of my birth certificate. I have sent a bank statement along with the birth certificate but they keep rejecting it.

This is really frustrating as I need access to my PayPal.

Can you please help

Thanks,

Sophie

Login to Me Too

linnyslab
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to know if this still works as well. Waiting for reply...

Login to Me Too

Temp20230525GK
Contributor
Contributor

hi sophie, im kinda having the same issue too. I need to confirm my identity. Do you where we can submit it in the first place?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.